Tax credits child benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tax credits child benefit

Poppy12
Poppy12 Community member Posts: 66 Connected
Hello my son who's 18 is leaving college in June. Will that be a change in circumstances to go onto universal credit early. As I'm dreading it. I don't know weather he will get a part time or full time Job but what will that mean to me as I'm on esa and dla. Thankyou 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No, it won't prompt a move to UC as advised on your other thread here a couple of weeks ago.

If you are claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you won't be entitled to this once your son leaves college and you'll need to report the changes to DWP.

If you're claiming the single person discount with your council tax then you'll need to report the changes to your local council too. Any housing benefit you're claiming won't be affected because you're claiming DLA and non dependent deductions for this won't apply to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppy12
    I know but it said family circumstances 
  • Poppy12
    I don't know if I'm getting disability premium 
  • Poppy12
    I got a letter saying extra about for severe disibility premium what's that about 
  • Poppy12
    Entitled to what when my son leaves college. Will I be eligible for the premium 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    A child leaving full time non advanced education is not a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC.

May i ask how much ESA you receive every fortnight and this will tell me whether you're claiming the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Poppy12
    OK thanks its £109 a week
  • poppy123456
    That tells me that you're not receiving the SDP. Although i'm confused by that amount because it's not support group rate or WRAG rate. Are you receiving any deductions in your ESA?

To answer your question your ESA will not be affected by your son finishing full time education.
  • Poppy12
    We will be going onto universal credit in July as my son on about getting a full time job. Will it affect my esa or if go on universal credit will it affect rent and council tax oh god I'm. Dreading it 
  • Poppy12
    I'm in the support group and it's always been. That rate since 2013. It's going up in April for a week! Then. Going back down I don't understand why 
  • Poppy12
    Do you know when. I'll be going onto pipis it this year 
  • Poppy12
  • Poppy12
    Will my esa be affected if my son gets a job
  • poppy123456
    Poppy12 said:
    We will be going onto universal credit in July as my son on about getting a full time job. Will it affect my esa or if go on universal credit will it affect rent and council tax oh god I'm. Dreading it 

This is not correct because your son leaving college and starting full time work will NOT mean you'll need to claim UC. You will remain on your ESA and your son working will not affect the amount you're entitled to.

The amount you're receiving is not ESA support group rate. Contributions based ESA is £111.65 per week. Income related ESA is £128.45 per week for a single person.

I'm afraid i have no idea when you'll be invited to apply for PIP.
  • Poppy12
    But I'm in the support group 
  • Poppy12
    I've got a letter saying it's going up to £150.75 a week is that right 
  • Poppy12
    And it said my partner may be required to focused work interview but he's on pip and he's ill
  • poppy123456
    You said you were receiving £109 per week, this is not support group rate. As you're claiming with your partner then you should be receiving £177.50 per week. I'd advise you to check your bank to see exactly what you're receiving every fortnight. If it's not £177.50 per week then you'll need to ring ESA and ask why you're not receiving that amount.

If you're not claiming ESA as a couple then does your partner work or does he claim another benefit?
  • Poppy12
    Yes claiming as a couple but do they take so much of cause my husband is a carer for me 
  • Poppy12
    My husband will be getting the dependacy element tooken of him in April 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.