Is carers allowance backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is carers allowance backdated?

Angie321
Angie321 Community member Posts: 10 Listener

If so, is it backdated to the time when you started to take over someone's need?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It can be backdated for a maximum 3 months unless the person claiming the qualifying benefit has recently been awarded a benefit such as PIP daily living or Attendance allowance and then it can be backdated to the start of the award.

Whether the person can claim carers allowance will totally depend on their circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Angie321
    Thank you Poppy for your reply. I did reply to a post earlier explaining my wait with the decision maker regarding my PIP claim and as time goes on I thought my husband was missing out claiming the carers allowance for physically looking after me. I am hopeful that my PIP report is agreed by the decision maker as the nurse who assessed me scored me 15 points daily living and 12 points mobility. 

Thank you
  • poppy123456
    No problem. If you are successfully awarded PIP daily living then your husband can claim carers allowance providing he doesn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions. It can be awarded from the start of the PIP claim providing the other rules applied to your husband at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Angie321
    Yes he's self employed, has been for years and when I suddenly became ill and subsequently disabled he had to turn work away to look after me and bless him he never complains. 
     I really appreciate your reply.
    Have a good evening.
    Thank you
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome. Good luck with the PIP decision ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.