Is ESA an ill persons income support or ate they different?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is ESA an ill persons income support or ate they different??

nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
I'm trying.to understand the difference between income support and esa. Been in support group esa for about 3 years now and still very I'll but struggling financially with everything and am slowly starting ri build up debt just to try and stay afloat. Just wondered if income support if something I could get help with?? Can anyone help make it clearer?? Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You won't be able to claim Income Support because you're claiming ESA. Is your ESA contributions based or Income related?

I see from previous threads that you're claiming PIP. Do you live alone or with a partner or parents? If you live with anyone over the age of 18 do they claim either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or attendance allowance?

Does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?

Once you've answered those questions i'll hopefully be able to advise you more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nikkif
    Hi @poppy123456 none is claiming carers allowance for me, due to my illness I lost my job and therefore my accommodation and I had to move back home with parents its difficult for them.as their quite old and I try to stay at friends etc, my official housing situation is classed as no permanent residence but they will not pay me sdp because of this even though my ma does most I'd not all my shopping, takes me to appointments and helps me with washing, dressing and all my cooking but I just dont know what to do as I'm not officially classed as living at home. It's all a bit of a mess and I feel at a complete loss. 
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately, with no fixed address then they are correct under those circumstances you won't be able to claim the SDP.

It seems like you're claiming all the benefits you're entitled to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nikkif
    Thank you for it help, just wondered if there was any help nirsarys etc to keep me deep spiralling into a great deal of debt to try catch up I suppose I'll just have to write to bebtorss work situation and hope they can be understamskmfg about it
    Also quick question can I now claim on discount.doe council tax at parents where I am most of time apart to give.them a few.says respite here and there.

• poppy123456
    nikkif said:
    Thank you for it help, just wondered if there was any help nirsarys etc to keep me deep spiralling into a great deal of debt to try catch up I suppose I'll just have to write to bebtorss work situation and hope they can be understamskmfg about it
    Also quick question can I now claim on discount.doe council tax at parents where I am most of time apart to give.them a few.says respite here and there.

You're welcome,

Sorry but it's rather difficult to understand your question here.

If you have debt and are struggling to keep up with the payments on these then i'd advise you to talk to step change and they will advise you. https://www.stepchange.org/

If you're asking about council tax then because you live with your parents then you won't have any council tax reduction because it's most likely in your parents names. For them to claim council tax reduction then it will depend on their circumstances. As all local council have their own rules then your parents will need to ring them to ask them for a form to fill in for the council tax reduction. Whether they are entitled to anything will of course depend on their circumstances.

• nikkif
    Thanks I know that seemed a  bit of a scrambled message I know they wont get council tax reduction, I was considering finally applying for carers allowance as my mum does everything for me practically.  I just dont think I've got the strength to go through the whole process again. The whole pip process practically broke me down is rather not have to go through that again but thanks poppy for your help xx 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    You won't be able to claim for carers allowance for yourself. Someone else can claim it for looking after you but you won't receive the money, they will receive it.

Whether your mum can claim this for looking after you will depend on her circumstances. If she works and earns more than £123 per week after deductions then she won't be able to claim it. See link for eligibility criteria. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

If she does qualify then it's a very simple application, which can be done online.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.