Social Prescribing - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Prescribing

2»

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456
    Thanks Poppy, that makes sense. But after the WCA as I'm pretty sure I'll get LCW I can look into proper self employment pet caring and/or gardening, is that right.
    I'm sure that will help on many levels, as I know me better than anybody else does.
    Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. When claiming UC you can work whether you receive LCW or not. If the decision is just LCW then your money will remain the same. If it's LCWRA then you'll receive extra money each month.

You will still receive the work allowance, which ever group you're in as i advised you in a previous thread.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    Ok, sorry, it gets confusing. So if I started looking into self employment now, and earning, as long as not more than 503, my UC benefit would stay the same, is that right.
    I would need to get receipts for money I presume, is that all.
  • poppy123456
    No, that's not correct because you don't have LCW yet but you can work if you want but the 63% deductions will apply to everything you earn during your assessment period.

If you're given LCW or LCWRA then the work allowance will apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    Ok I'll look up the 63% reduction bit, but would you say I would be better to hold out till I have the WCA.

Feel I have to do something rather than sitting around waiting for something to happen. I could start getting info on proper self employment as the 14 years I did it before didnt make enough money and sometimes went without any work for a period, like winter months. So dont think it would hurt to start making enquiries.
    Thanks Poppy
  • poppy123456
    That's your decision and only you can decide what to do.

Do be aware though, as i advised you before, once the decision is made, if you're given LCW/LCWRA and you do decide to work, if this work contradicts the reasons why you're claiming either of those then they can reassess you earlier and the decision could go against you.
  • Bettahm
    @poppy123456
    They certainly make it complicated. I think when I have the WCA I will get LCW. I have plenty of evidence that I cant work with people and out of my own choosing decided to work with animals and gardens ages before I even knew about the ASD. I have huge gaps in my employment history etc. So dont see how they can fail to give me limited capability for work. Then hopefully might get some help from them maybe along the self employment route.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, social prescribing is not just for those with a mental health condition. It is there to support anyone who may have disability, long-term condition or has become isolated for another reason.

The aim is to explore the services that are available to support you, this could be medical, social or a mixture of the two.
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    That's a bit more of a positive picture of them. I certainly wouldn't want them coming round here trying to get me out and about in the community. I was going to cancel them altogether but will wait and see what they say.
    Is waiting since October normal, I guess it probably could be.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, most of mine was over the phone and they just were able to give me a list of services and groups which could help. It's then up to you if you choose to get involved with the things they have suggested.

Unfortunately backlogs would depend on your area. I hope you here something soon!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thanks Chloe. Maybe I will email them, just to see what's happening with my referral. But you're probably right, backlogs. If they offer help and advice, then leave me to choose, doesnt sound so bad.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope it works out @Franstrahan
    Scope

• Bettahm
    On the website for this area it does seem to focus on lonely and isolated people who want help and/or advice about activities or groups they could get involved with in their local area.
    Not for me, but I'll leave it and let them get in touch whenever. Maybe like the Wellbeing service who I had this time last year, SP offer different services in different areas. This is a big retirement area so there probably is a lot of people looking for clubs, groups etc.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, have you thought. of doing some voluntary work with animals or gardening while you wait to set up self employed, it would boost your CV and get you back into the routine of working and could also help your well being. Im sure there will be many organisations wanting volunteers for dog walking/sitting and volunteer gsrdeners. 
  • Bettahm
    @janer1967
    I'm thinking about it but will need to discuss it with my work coach I think. Also still have bad days with the depression so would need to be flexible. Social Prescribing might be able to help with that so that's a good idea. I can ask for help with that when they contact me. They have a backlog i presume in this area. But they should be able to find anyone local that needs dog walking or some light gardening. I will check with my job coach though as dont want to mess up benefits.
  • Bettahm
    I am honestly not sure about volunteering. Where and for what is one thing. The other is I need money. So would prefer to do casual as and when gardening or animal work, just a few hours a week to start, and get paid for it. I believe I would lose 63p from each pound from UC for doing it, so will have to weigh that up. And cant be sure I'd get any work round here anyway. I cant make ends meet on UC and that's all I have.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    You describe  an effective  tax rate which a millionaire would protest about (and dodge).

(Is there also   an underlying  fear that if you attempt work and get paid, for a trial  few hours in a job where you don't have  social  contact, then the benefits  assessors will  declare you  did it once, so you are able to get a job full time, on the tills in a supermarket,  or else have all benefits cancelled?. )

It sounds contrary to proclaimed  public policy.  You are posting in a general chat coffee  lounge.  Maybe you could re-post ? Check on this site,  with benefits experts. Possibly an autism charity would also have particular expertise.  

By the way, I don't suggest working unpaid as a long plan, just a) give yourself up to date references on your c.v.
    b)  ask for at least a cover payment for travel, eating meals away from home, getting suitable clothing and so on, which is not payment,  so not declared as such. 

Rich people,  civil servants, politicians etc. all have complex perks, to the point where their  hidden rewards turn the actual salaries of the seriously  rich into the most trivial part of their 'pay'.  A recent  article by a 'poacher  turned gamekeeper ' described  how she had to fix 'remuneration packages ' including  finding offshore places to put rewards in shares of subsiduary companies,  and even, she declared,  providing gold bars!  All perfectly  legal, routine for the obscenely over-rewarded super rich.

Possibly autistic people are likely to be more straightforward than the general public? My guess  would be that if someone does something unpaid,  as a trial, the person organising it will hand over an untaxable cover payment  for expenses,  then  the person they actually do  the free work for will maybe hand over an untaxable bonus tip, simply as a personal way to show appreciation.  

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    By the way, in towns, it is easy to get cleaners, advertising on postcards in shop windows.  It isn't easy to get gardeners.

Some charities send volunteers to people's gardens, but never  to allotments,  so when people are ill, or frail, they let their plots go wild unless they happen  to have a family member to help them.

• Bettahm
    @newborn
    Yes the system is very complicated and I just want to make sure I dont put a foot wrong.
    I do see in black and white, so it either is or it isn't. If you know what I mean. All the little loopholes just make things incomprehensible.

• Bettahm
    @newborn
    I'm waiting for the WCA which I should get LCW at and believe I can work before that but will lose 63 percent from UC. So weighing all this up currently.

Brightness