What would you do with 1 million pounds? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would you do with 1 million pounds?

2»

Comments

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:
    Really nice answers everyone. I notice we all would continue living relatively modestly which I thought was interesting. 
    Very interesting!

I think illness and disability changes our priorities. 10 years ago, I would have splashed half of it on luxuries.

Now, those luxuries are a new bed, accessible car and a better sofa.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I absolutely agree. I’ve also noticed that many of the disabled people I have met are not impressed or intimidated by wealth as lots of people are, I guess for many reasons. 

I’ve had my issues all my life so have no past life to compare with but even my priorities have definitely changed over the last few years. As I went through education I always had dreams of getting a good job and earning lots of money but I guess as I come to terms with what I can and can’t do, achievement for me now would be to simply own a nice small house somewhere and have food in the cupboards and a reliable car for if I want to travel.

I remember someone questioning whether a luxury lifestyle is earning £100,000 a year and having all the trappings that come with that, but no time; or is earning £20,000 a year but having time to spend with family, enjoy fresh air in the park, etc. a luxury in itself?
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Exactly!

I'd take that £1m on top of what I have now, but I wouldnt give up what I have now for that £1m.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont think the world views one million as a lot of money any more. Not when you can win multi millions on various lotteries. People now talk about 'a couple of hundred quid' as if it were small change. Quite frightening really when the CAB say a lot of people would be hard pressed to find £500 in an emergency. 
    The gap between the haves and have nots is now a yawning great chasm.
  • 66Mustang
    I think it is still a lot of money, but you are right - it is no longer a licence to live in absolute luxury for the rest of your life, as it once would have been. I think most people could still retire on a million and live modestly though.

I remember hearing that too about finding £500. If I remember correctly it even included a lot of the middle class who, really, should have £500 stored away somewhere but in reality are spending their high monthly income each month instead of saving some of it!
  • Naughtynan
    Naughtynan Community member Posts: 87 Courageous
    A nice house with a gym and a personal trainer and a chef lol I'm a terrible cook.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Like Pollyanna. I thought I had already answered this question but my post isn't on here. I would buy myself a bungalow and go on a long awaited holiday (not been on holiday for 13 yrs)!  then I would bank the rest until I decided what to do with it.
  • zeesmum
    zeesmum Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    A world trip with my close family. Maybe bring a carer along to help with my youngest when the able-bodied family members want to go and do crazy things which are not accessible or too old for my youngest daughter.
    A nice bungalow fully kitted out so every single nook and cranny is totally accessible to my daughter. 
    All the equipment I could only dream about my daughter having atm. And IF IF there’s anything left after that I would put it away for equipment as my six year old daughter grows.
    very different things than I would have thought about buying five years ago x
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    Very nice @April2018mom

Do you drive boats or would you have someone to drive it for you?

My other idea would be to not buy a house but permanently move around countries as I love travelling. A bit like a permanent holiday but I wouldn’t live in luxury just a normal life in a rented house for maybe 1-2 months then move on. This would be w good way to explore many many countries. I’m not sure how long the money would last though!! A million is a lot but not enough to last a lifetime these days especially with inflation!!
    To answer your question it would only be for the summer. My partner and I know a lot about how to operate a boat. He grew up on a boat and I spent part of my childhood on a boat. Every year my family would go away for one or two weeks on a boat trip around Surrey or Britain in the summer. So we know we can handle one without too much difficulty. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    A nice house with a gym and a personal trainer and a chef lol I'm a terrible cook.
    I'd quite like a chef too @Naughtynan. Although I'm not sure I'd fancy having a stranger in my house all the time, even if it is to cook. :D 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Lots of things.  I want some new exercise equipment. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I`ve already got  2 personal chefs...and a chauffeur...5 actually.......and a bungalow which suits most but not al of my needs...

trouble is..no matter how much money I had...I`d still need carers....cant magic or pay MS away!!

Tis only dreaming and fantasising on this thread...not harming anyone!

• 66Mustang
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one a lot of talk about having a personal chef.

Well you all have one if I can be so bold not in person of course.

Always here wish I could be in all your kitchens.

Being the Italian Stallion in the kitchen.

I would be very tired as well having my super suit getting a bit worn out.  lol .

Please ask me anything I can help with like to know.

I know a million pounds never want that, any way worth more my time than that to educate, help assist those with issues around cooking.

Pleasure to be here.

Please take care every one and have a lovely Sunday.

@thespiceman .  

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • EmmaJane
    EmmaJane Scope Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I'd spend half of it on wine, women and song - and the rest of it I'd probably just waste :D

Brightness