Disability premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premiums

Jaanu38
Jaanu38 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
Hi...I'm confused and would really appreciate some advice.  I'm in the contribution based ESA support group.  I'm not sure if I can apply for any disability premiums? I'm seeing conflicting advice online.  I also get standard PIP both elements and my occupational pension. I hope to be able to move out soon to live on my own so how would that affect my benefits? Many thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi,

The disability premiums aren't paid when claiming Contributions based benefits but Income related top ups maybe payable but firstly, it depends whether you're claiming New style ESA or the old Contributions based ESA. If it's the New style ESA then to disability premiums are not payable.

Also because you're receiving an Occupation pension then this will count as income for any income related top up (premiums) So regardless of which ESA you're claiming then it will totally depend on how much per week your pension is.

When you live on your own, if you need help with any rent you may have to claim Universal Credit but this will totally depend which of the above ESA's you're claiming and how much your pension is per week, savings and capital also affect the amount you maybe entitled to if you have more than £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jaanu38
    Thanks so much 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jaanu38 Hello and welcome to the community I am a community champion here at scope. Ita nice to have new members, Im glad your query had been answered, if there is anything else we can help you with don't hesitate to ask
  • Jaanu38

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.