PIP Assessment. Can I ask for a break? Can I use a laptop/tablet? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment. Can I ask for a break? Can I use a laptop/tablet?

JeffreyDriver
JeffreyDriver Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Due to my numerous conditions can I request a break/rest as a reasonable adjustment? I know assessments are supposed to last around 60 mins, but I can see myself becoming exhausted with this, particularly if it was go on for longer. I would actually be unable to focus properly after a while. Does this need to be requested in advance?

My handwriting is poor, and takes me a while. Has anyone here taken in a laptop or tablet to write notes?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You could perhaps request a "toilet" break that would give you five minutes, as for using a laptop or tablet personally I wouldn't advise that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JeffreyDriver
    woodbine said:
    You could perhaps request a "toilet" break that would give you five minutes, as for using a laptop or tablet personally I wouldn't advise that.
    Thanks. Five minutes is unlikely to be enough for me to decompress. May I ask why you advise against the laptop/tablet?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Assessments vary in length and can be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, it really depends what questions they ask and how many.

I agree with woodbine about the laptop and i'd advise you to concentrate on answering the questions because there may not be time for you to do that and take notes at the same time. If you have someone that can go with you then maybe you can ask them to take notes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JeffreyDriver
    Hi,

Assessments vary in length and can be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, it really depends what questions they ask and how many.

I agree with woodbine about the laptop and i'd advise you to concentrate on answering the questions because there may not be time for you to do that and take notes at the same time. If you have someone that can go with you then maybe you can ask them to take notes.
    Here's the thing. I have asperger's (along with ADD and other things) and it's really difficult for me to verbalize my thoughts. So it wouldn't just be me taking notes, but I would also like to put responses down in writing so I can read them.

I'm happy to be slow and methodical, but I will require breaks.

As an example, these posts here have taken me ages to write in a way that makes sense.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't have thought that there would be enough of time for you to type what you wanted to say before answering the questions, doing this would mean the assessment could potentially take a few hours. That's not going to be possible. All of the information about how your conditions affect you should have been put in the form before returning it.

One of the reasons for these assessments is for you to verify what you wrote in the form as well as any additional information needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    You won't have to write anything during the assessment. Just go over your form you filled out. Have someone else with you that can help/ prompt you if needed with your answers. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.