Universal Credit and Carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Carers

deebronny
deebronny Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I am looking for some advice about my universal credit. I started claiming U/C on the 6th of november 2019 and in February had the carers element added because I am caring for my partner and didnt realise I was entitled to that. I also applied for carers allowance in January and found out today that they are planning on back dating it to the 6th of November as I shouldve been claim it then. I know that carers is taken £1 for £1 out of your U/C money but I'm wondering if I recieve this back payment that's close to £1000 will this be taken out of my U/C ? I just cant seem to work it out or find any information about it anywhere and I need to know so I can manage my money to make sure I'm not left short.
Thanks in advance ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Yes, the carers allowance backdated money will be classed as an overpayment for UC. This means that you will need to repay it back future UC payments and your monthly amount will be reduced until it's been paid back.

Just so that you're aware, unless you live in Scotland the only advantage to claiming the carers allowance is that they pay class 1 NI credits, where as on UC you receive class 3. You can claim the carers element of UC without claiming carers allowance.

May i ask then you started your claim for UC did you report that you were a carer? If you did then the carers element can be backdated.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @deebronny Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope. Its always nice to see new members here. Have a look round the site and feel free to join in any discussions
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Hi @deebronny welcome to the group 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @deebronny! Is there anything further we can help with?

Please do have a look around and get involved. :)
    Scope

• deebronny
    Thank you for replying...can I ask if you know wether I just wont get any U/C for the next 2/3 months roughly or will they be taking it out gradually the way they would for an advance? I tried ringing them and asking but the agent hadn't a clue. He actually said that he didnt know, which is mind blowing ?‍♀️
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    It will be taken gradually until it's paid back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deebronny
    Awe thank god, was really worried about not getting anything for 2/3 months. Thank you so much, you've been so helpful, unlike the actual u/c advisors 
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome. Yes, I must admit their knowledge isn’t great but that’s because they’ve had very little training. Glad I could help ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @deebronny, I'm glad @poppy123456 was able to answer this for you.

I hope it all works out okay. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.