Hi, my name is Karwak! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Karwak!

Karwak
Karwak Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, i am new to this group and not totally sure where to go for help and advise. i have had chronic back pain now for 8 months and after being diagnosed in July with having 2 torn discs i was 4 weeks ago told that i have actually got 4 torn discs, L2/3, L3/4, L4/5 & L5/S1, i also have DDD in all 4 discs and facet arthropathy in this same area, i went from being totally ok and being able to move and walk with no problems to now having to use Crutches just to walk and am unable to sit or stand without serious pain in my back and legs, i have a full time job that i am now struggling to keep doing even with the help my employer is giving me. This week i found out that surgery is not an option to help and that the only thing they can do is to try and manage the pain. i am on pregabolin, celecoxib and paracetamol to help with the pain and am not able to take anything stronger as i react and get the severe side affects so the GP says he cant prescribe anything stronger, I use a infra red lamp and tens machine daily and rest as much as possible but i am unable to get any relief for the pain, it is at a 6/10 on a good day. i feel totally physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted and just don't know where to go for help, i don't qualify for disability due to my earnings and as i am the main breadwinner i cant afford to lose my job to take them. i have no idea what to expect from now on and feel numb. i recently aggravated the issue when i had a cold and now i have lost some of the sensation in my back too. if i am in the wrong place please let me know but any and all help / advise would be gratefully accepted please.  :'(:'(

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Hi @Karwak

Welcome to the community ?
  • Karwak
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karwak - Welcome to this supportive & friendly community from me too. Thank you for joining us all. I'm incredibly sorry to read about the physical issues & pain you're facing. It sounds like you have an understanding employer, which is good. Are they looking at 'Reasonable adjustments' that may mean a way forward in keeping you able to work? See advice here on Scope: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/reasonable-adjustments/
    You might also look into getting PIP (Personal Independence Payment) as this is a non-means benefit you may qualify for, & you can still work & get this. See: https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    I hope either, or both of these options may be helpful.
    Drs are finding that with ongoing pain ways need to be found to 'cope' or 'manage' with this.

• Karwak
    Thank you, i will look into these links, my employer are making adjustments for me at the moment to keep me at work, new desk, new chair that sort of thing, i am restricted with driving so i have a personal risk assessment meaning i cant go to another site or do some tasks, I just hope i dont need to take any more sick leave as that's where i worry I will get penalised. I have now applied for a blue badge to help when going out, shopping etc. Thank you again for the advice x 
  • Karwak
    Hi, i have now been told by the Pain consultant that there is nothing more they can do to help me with the pain, the only thing left to look into is the spinal cord simulator implant but he says that even this may not be a viable option. i am almost at my wits end, i don't know what to do to help the pain anymore, i cant take anymore medication as i react to it all. my pain levels are 6/7 out of 10 on the few good days i have. what do you guys do to help with the pain, it feels like the only options i have are live with it and still have some degree of activity and work, or take stronger meds and be at home in bed sleeping or so out of it i am not able to do anything. i just feel so lost and over whelmed by everything at the moment. i went from having nothing wrong to being like this in the space of a few days and now i know its never going to get better.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karwak I am sorry to hear your pain consultant has said there is nothing more that can be done. Have you considered trying a chiropractor. I used one myself several years ago and he did more for me than any doctor or hospital did. I am not a medical professionsal so don't know if it would benefit you but its just a suggestion
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karwak and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear about what has happened to you lately and can appreciate how difficult this is for you.  It is really good though to hear that your employer is being so responsible and helpful in making some reasonable adjustments for you.

Have you thought about attending a Pain Clinic to help manage your pain? Your GP can refer you to one of these.  I attended one for a while.  They run sessions to describe how pain works in your body and how you can manage it better and give strategies for how best to cope with pain.  It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but just an option for you.  I hope whatever you do that you begin to get some relief from the pain at least.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and if there is anything at all you need help/support with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Karwak, how are you feeling today?

You might find the dealing with chronic pain page useful to look at.
    Scope

• Karwak
    Hi Chloe,

Thank you, its hard and I'm trying to.get my head around everything but i am so very grateful for all the help and advice I have received on here, i will look at the link you sent, thank you.

Brightness