SDP benefit. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP benefit.

molliemoore
molliemoore Community member Posts: 12 Connected
I was reading a post on her regarding sdp benefit,and want some advice as I've hit a brick wall already.my husband who we are separated,still lives in same property as hes a joint tenant, and dwp have said I cant claim this as I dont live alone or have separate tenancies.  Hope someone can help please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

With a joint tenancy then i'd say no. If you had separate tenancy agreements then it maybe possible. It's even more complicated when you're still living with your ex partner.

May i also ask if you're claiming benefits as a single person?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • molliemoore
    Yes I'm claiming as single and my council dont do separate tenancies. 
  • poppy123456
    It maybe possible to claim this based on you being treated as living alone. Is your ex husband liable for paying 50% of the rent and do you claim for 50% of the rent or does one of you claim for the whole rent?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • molliemoore
    We both claim housing benefit for 50% each of the rent.
  • poppy123456
    Then you should be entitled to claim the SDP if there's no other non dependents living with you. If there isn't then i'd advise you to send in both of the housing benefit award letters to prove this.
  • molliemoore
    Yes I can do that.the dwp women said the rule is hardened and also it's to do with money coming in house.sge just wouldn't listen. I will fight this all the way. Thank you x
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes its worth phoning again as you might get another person who is more sympathetic/understands the problem better.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    May i also check which ESA you're claiming? Is it the old legacy ESA Income Related or Contributions based or New style ESA?
  • molliemoore
    Thanks woodbine,any one would think she was paying me from her own pocket. Poppy123456,yes the old legacy benefit of income related esa.
  • poppy123456
    It’s because the SDP rules are very specific but you should be able to claim is because you’re classed as living alone. 
  • molliemoore
    Thank you so much,I will keep you informed as to what's happening. X
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @molliemoore. Have you had any news? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • molliemoore
    No not heard anything, even CAB office didn't know if I was entitled to it. I even rang my local DIAL office .I've a joint tenancy, claim housing benefit each of us.  Online calculators all say yes,but I'm not sure.
  • poppy123456
    Benefit calculators are not always useful and in your case it's not going to help because they are only as useful as the information you put into them. Your issue is the joint tenancy agreement. If you each had a tenancy agreement then it would be more straight forward.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.