ESA income related letter I received for my dad (now dead) - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA income related letter I received for my dad (now dead)

13»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    clucky20 said:
    Hi thank you for your reply I really appreciate you’re help, I was just a little concerned as I’m not blood related and not sure where I stand with it all. The letter said he may of been owed money from 2011 up till when he past away in 2013 it’s really come as a shock and I’m trying not to think to much of it all but it’s quite hard not to. Do you know  What happens next and how long it takes I’m rather hoping it’s  all over quickly as it’s just made me really sad and brought back sad memories. 
    I'm so sorry all this is happening, i'm sure it's having some affect on you, especially after all this time. I've heard of a few stories were people have passed away and others have been contacted because of the underpayments and it has been dealt with rather quickly. Whether this will be the same i don't know. Under normal circumstances the wait is over 20 weeks. Really there's no timescales to any decision but i hope it's sorted really quickly. Of course whether there's any money owed will depend on their circumstances during those dates.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @clucky20, I really hope this isn't impacting too much as I imagine it is bringing back memories. I hope they can deal with this quickly. Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• clucky20
    clucky20 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you both for your replies I certainly will let you know how it all goes, I really hope it’s all over quickly they might think they are doing a good cause by paying people back what they are owed but It’s so hard for the loved ones that are left behide here’s who have to deal with this. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Got my fingers crossed @clucky20!
    Scope

• nicolah95
    nicolah95 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    i got the same letter about a relative and received a form to fill in but still dont understand whats its about
  • clucky20
    Hiya I think it’s to do with a underpayment from a few years ago when they changed benefits people wasn’t getting the correct payments. I still haven’t had any news but I will let you know when I receive an update. Mine was for a man that I classed as a dad but he wasn’t blood and I was his next of kin but im not 100% if I’ll be entitled to it as he does a brother which he had nothing to do with but dwp contacted me so we will see. I really hope something does come out of it as I’ve never been able to get a headstone for his grave so it would be Lovly to do that for him. Best of luck with your progress. 
  • Tinkerbell44
    Tinkerbell44 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Yes it’s money that’s (that was sorry) underpaid to a person in this case it’s my dad basically any next of kin will receive the underpayment that this person who has passed away would’ve been Jew I’ve had the phone call and I’ve had the letter and I filled everything out I’ve been told it’s a 12 week weight I am on weight week eight now I’m hoping it quickens up but I was wondering how @Ciara55 was getting on also???? And @poppy123456 @Chloe_Scope  Is there any number I can phone to ask them what’s going on sort of thing what’s happening now about it like I said I did they did tell me it was up to 12 weeks but I am almost on week nine now and I just feel I should’ve had some sort of letter or update or something if you could help me out it would be much appreciated thank you so much for everything you do and all your help I would be totally lost without you
  • poppy123456
    I believe there's a certain number to ring for the underpayments but i'm sorry i have no idea what that is. The waiting times they tell you is always just a guide. I do know that backlogs for this are huge and waiting times have increased to over 20 weeks. Whether or not they will deal with it any quicker because of the circumstances here, i have no idea. They don't usually update you along the way either, they'll just send out a decision letter once the decision's been made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sorry @Tinkerbell44, I am unsure about this. Have you been able to get it resolved?
    Scope

• Bookworm87
    Bookworm87 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    We've also received one, I'm so confused by it
  • poppy123456
    We've also received one, I'm so confused by it
    HI and welcome,

I'm assuming you received the ESA3 form? what are you confused by? did you transfer from Incapacity benefit to ESA? If so then information here in the link. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45903514

• Lljr83
    Lljr83 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    @clucky20 I’m in the same position as you my friend who was basically my dad and grandfather to my children died a few years ago and as I registered death and arranged and paid for funeral and notified dwp of his death they have contacted me he had no living relatives the dwp said I am his beneficiary but I’m unsure if I’ll receive what is owed to him. I also like you haven’t managed to give him a headstone on his grave and the thought I might be able to but I don’t know Is causing my anxiety to go through the roof 
  • poppy123456
    Lljr83 said:
    @clucky20 I’m in the same position as you my friend who was basically my dad and grandfather to my children died a few years ago and as I registered death and arranged and paid for funeral and notified dwp of his death they have contacted me he had no living relatives the dwp said I am his beneficiary but I’m unsure if I’ll receive what is owed to him. I also like you haven’t managed to give him a headstone on his grave and the thought I might be able to but I don’t know Is causing my anxiety to go through the roof 

Hi and welcome,

I'm sorry this is causing anxiety for you, i can't imagine being contacted regarding this after the loss of a loved one.

If your late father is owed any money then you will receive what is owed on behalf of him. There's no timescales for how long this will take but usually it's a quicker process when dealing with these sort of claims. Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer.
  • Lljr83
    I’m just worried because we aren’t blood related but he brought me up from the age of 7 and Me and my children were all he had, the man on the phone noted me as his beneficiary which he would have wanted as there’s no one else, does this mean that the underpayment would go to me x
  • clucky20
    Hi all, just a little update I’ve received a br3330 form asking for funeral arrangements and bank details etc.. I will complete this tomorrow and send it back. Does anyone no what happens next and how long the wait is for this part? I’ve been waiting since November for a reply from my 1st form i sent back. Yeah lljr83 We definitely sound like we are going through the same thing. I hope you hear something soon. It’s been 3 months for me to hear something back to let me know he was owed money and like I said above I’ve received another form now to complete this and wait again :( it’s a nightmare I just want it over with. I’ve had to write in box why I think I should receive this money aswell it’s horrible. Like you can explain on paper what someone ment to you.  Keep me posted with how you get on. All the best 
  • poppy123456
    clucky20 said:
    Hi all, just a little update I’ve received a br3330 form asking for funeral arrangements and bank details etc.. I will complete this tomorrow and send it back. Does anyone no what happens next and how long the wait is for this part? I’ve been waiting since November for a reply from my 1st form i sent back. Yeah lljr83 We definitely sound like we are going through the same thing. I hope you hear something soon. It’s been 3 months for me to hear something back to let me know he was owed money and like I said above I’ve received another form now to complete this and wait again :( it’s a nightmare I just want it over with. I’ve had to write in box why I think I should receive this money aswell it’s horrible. Like you can explain on paper what someone ment to you.  Keep me posted with how you get on. All the best 

I believe the next stage is for DWP to pay the money owed but unfortunately there's no timescales of any decision. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer.
  • Lljr83
    @clucky20 thanks hope you’re all sorted soon, it’s driving me crazy waiting to hear feel like I’m back to when I lost him all over again it’s brought it all back again, the people I’ve spoke to were lovely though just want it all sorted so it’s not hanging over me and if all goes well I can get his grave all sorted so me and the kids have somewhere nice to go and remember him x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.