Advise and tips on prosthetic leg? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advise and tips on prosthetic leg?

Karkarna
Karkarna Community member Posts: 4 Connected
Hello, 
I'm a churches dependent due to a birth defect, which affect one of my leg after birth. Since then, I've used wheelchair for a bit as a kid, before moving to fulltime crutches user. Now, I've the opportunity to use a prosthetic leg extension to help me walk and be less dependent on crutches. However, I'm finding the transitioning extremely hard, as I've never put any weight on the leg before. I've started attending physiotherapy classes but it's a working progress. So, I want to ask if anyone in this community have a tip or advise for me on how to make this transitioning easier.

Thank you!

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    hi not sure what type of prosthetic extension you are transitioning to--- 7 years ago i got both feet  amputated after an accident  it is a below knee amputation. these are quite easy to manage if you still have a working knee joint. Keep repeating the physio exercises as if you are training for the olympics, they make a massive difference. Stumps change size during the day so keep adjusting by changing number of socks. Never have a loose prosthetic, it can create a massive lump called a bursar  which takes weeks to clear wearing compression socks. Dont do too much, sores stop prosthetic use for ages whilst they heal,   
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Karkarna and a very warm welcome to the community! It sounds like it's going to be a big change.

Has your physio said anything about the adjustment period? I don't use prosthetic so unfortunately can't offer any tips. However I hope other members will be able to help. :)

It would be great to hear how you get on with this. 
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Karkarna said:
    Hello, 
    I'm a churches dependent due to a birth defect, which affect one of my leg after birth. Since then, I've used wheelchair for a bit as a kid, before moving to fulltime crutches user. Now, I've the opportunity to use a prosthetic leg extension to help me walk and be less dependent on crutches. However, I'm finding the transitioning extremely hard, as I've never put any weight on the leg before. I've started attending physiotherapy classes but it's a working progress. So, I want to ask if anyone in this community have a tip or advise for me on how to make this transitioning easier.

Thank you!

Hi, don't know about prosthetics but am a full time wheelchair user, so I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well for you. Icarus has given you some kind advice. xxx
  • Karkarna
    icarus said:
    hi not sure what type of prosthetic extension you are transitioning to--- 7 years ago i got both feet  amputated after an accident  it is a below knee amputation. these are quite easy to manage if you still have a working knee joint. Keep repeating the physio exercises as if you are training for the olympics, they make a massive difference. Stumps change size during the day so keep adjusting by changing number of socks. Never have a loose prosthetic, it can create a massive lump called a bursar  which takes weeks to clear wearing compression socks. Dont do too much, sores stop prosthetic use for ages whilst they heal,   
    Thank you @icarus .
    I'm not an amputee but i have understand what you mean. In my case, it's a leg deformity and my leg is shorter than the other one. So the prosthetic extensions aimed to help me walk (and assist the leg reach the ground) and be less dependent on two crutches.
    The physio is going really well! And I'm getting the hang of it now, it challenge, but the physio helps. Now my leg only feel sore when i use it for a whole day or sat for too long. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Karkarna, I'm glad to hear physio is going well! How are things at the moment? :)
    Scope

• Karkarna
    Hello @Chloe_Scope , Things are going well with the physio and i'm getting use to it. I have moved from cruches to using cane   
  • Chloe_Scope
    Really glad to hear it @Karkarna! It sounds like you are doing amazing! :)
    Scope

• Karkarna
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope . it's an amazing exprience!

Brightness