TO ALL MEMBERS CORONAVIRUS IMPORTANT INFORMATION, ADVICE AND GUIDANCE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TO ALL MEMBERS CORONAVIRUS IMPORTANT INFORMATION, ADVICE AND GUIDANCE

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2020 in Community updates
Hello every one the current information, advice, guidance is the following.

1. Those with heart, lung illness or any underlying conditions that effect health.

Elderly and those with the above 

Diabetes is one.  Another concern is those with mental health issues Anxiety, depression lowers immune systems need to be thinking of ways to boost immune systems.

Should be taking precautions and be aware.

2.  Keep safe, clean be aware of being hygienic.

Wash your hands before any food preparations.

After toilet, bathroom.

Having to sneeze, cough use tissues dispose of.

Avoid touching your face.  With unwashed hands.

Wash hands.  Use a hand gel or hand soap . Wash 20 seconds.

3.  Avoid contact with those who are unwell.  

If unwell do not go to GP. Pharmacy, or Hospital  call 111. Or look on NHS Website.

https://www.nhs.uk.

Has links to further information and advice.

4. Symptoms are fever, tiredness. Cough breathing difficulties.  Muscle pain.

5. You may be asked to stay at home, self isolated, tested for the virus.

Please can I suggest there has been a lot of misinformation about this situation.

In the media this morning on B.B.C .  Website talking about our community being effected.

Some ways to boost immune systems be sensible and be aware of your own health.

1.  Foods that help boost antioxidants, antibacterial and are good to help health.

2. Those contain Beta Carotene which contains the necessary immunity of prevention of infections, should be eating.

3.  Fruit buy fresh or frozen.  Berries, Mango.  Apples, Citrus fruits easy peelers fine.  

4. Vegetables. Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Broccoli, Kale, Spinach.  Again buy frozen or fresh fine.

5.  Peppers red ones the best. frozen be fine.  Tomatoes, fresh canned, Passata, chopped, Plum all useful. Cherry ones in tins my favourite.

Just a point frozen vegetables are fine to use because there are processed at picking immediately and deep frozen there by not losing any of the minerals, vitamins and enzymes help use to protect us.

I buy all the time always.

6. Beans Pulses great to use . Full of Iron, Folate, Vitamins.

Use these in Soups Ragu and any tomato based sauces.

7.  Whole grains whole wheat includes Pasta, Rice Potatoes.

Nuts, any allergies avoid.

Yoghurt antibacterial with added Cultures, these are bacterium. That occur naturally in Milk and Yoghurt.

Fight any infections, use with fruit in the morning or use with both Oats, Porridge top with Honey, Berries.

8. Fish seafood Cod, Haddock, Prawns, Salmon, Oily fish useful for Omega three and six.

Plus helps to boost immunity antibacterial.

Buy frozen or tinned. Tinned Salmon cheaper than fresh use Mackerel, Sardines in tins .

Sandwiches .

9.  Oils sunflower, olive and rapeseed.  

10. Protein based foods lean meat Chicken and Turkey.

11.  Spices Chillies help any sorts. Flakes, Powders, Dried, Fresh.

Please I can add one important aspect of this a lot of panic, anxiety and stress.

I went on line yesterday shopping all booked up delivery spots got one but later in the week.

Seems people are been stockpiling lots of this is not helping in my opinion.

I want to allay fears by stating the facts.

I hope every one keeps safe and remember please happy to help, ask me any thing foodie ways to boost immunes systems.

Lots you can do.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes
Tagged:

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Good morning put this on this forum, the relevant information.

Mentioned a lot our Community on the media websites .

Concerns as I do anything like this.

Trying to allay fears, insecurities never easy to those who have mental illness.

Or any underlying health condition .  

Understand a lot of misinformation and hype.

I hope what I wrote helps our Community and please thank you for adding other links.

Best wishes.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Thanks Spiceman ...all good advice . 
    I feel that the government are a little lax in these matters , and Scotland are a bit behind Westminster ( deliberately ) ...Us Scots are waiting ...and waiting for the virus to peak and then put restrictions in place ( banning anything where large groups are involved) .
    The government is telling us not to stock buy foods..but in the next breath they are telling us to self isolate if we have it . If we have no food we will have to go and buy some . I am lucky that my son said if needs be he would go and get what we needed but leave it at the back door . I feel sorry for the people on their own who have nobody they can rely on .I hope neighbours think of eldery people and help those people . 
    Please be safe ?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Seanchai   All of this is a concern and worry reason wrote the post.

I am aware since being on line shopping which I recommend .

Lots of the products are being made restricted.

I would look at this, Scotland and areas must be some supermarkets near to you.

I have a lot of sympathy, time and tolerance for every one, just need to add.

We need to be aware of the supermarkets and may I add one other any shopping on line retail business.

Looking at getting anything you need.

AMAZON  sell not only every day store cupboard and grocery items.

Also meat and fish for sale from Organic Butchers.

Something to consider.

Must add one other my community my home my area no one talks to me, even though offering hand of friendship and support.

Hope if I can advise be helpful contact me.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman timely advice, I have been using the "Guardians" website for up to date stories about corona its kept up to date 18 hours a day and reports the facts without the hype.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Just read that it is more than possible that everyone over 70 is to have to self isolate for up to 4 months!
    Are they being serious?
    And if they don't what then?
    I'm 71 and have a full life which involves running charities as well as working for HMRC as a contract self employed investigator. If I was to stay indoors for 16+ weeks I would be climbing the wall with frustration.
    I am extremely careful when out and about and wash my hands regularly. The only way that they are going to enforce house arrest is if they plonk a squaddie at my front door with orders to shoot on sight!
    This is getting ridiculous now. 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    No other country is so discriminatory.  If one section of the community  is  under  house arrest, all are. In that way, it becomes  obvious  that at least  some exceptions  and all basic needs must be  made available,  by authorities. 

It's true older age groups are vulnerable.  Not true they can easily go without shopping, contact  or fresh air for 4 months. Not true that each older or disabled person has an eager community, family and friends who will bring shopping and supply phone contact.

Joan Bakewell said she is protecting herself by isolation,  apart from nice long walks and constant Skype chats with all her friends and family, and taking in all the things she orders online. Esther Rantzen says she does the same, living with her daughter, but even Esther seems to think all people can spend hours every day chatting to all their friends and family.   Esther, you do remember why you set up Silverline, do you? And you do know it is overwhelmed and pretty much broken,   do you?  

Not true everyone has internet or smartphone etc. or phone banking, or even a bank account .  Those making plans assume the entire population lives exactly as they do themselves.  Not true, as we know all too well.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    As I now understand it, not just those over 70 will be required to self isolate but all those with the underlying health conditions as well. I have all the underlying conditions, personally I have already started to reduce my exposure to the outside world, we have decided that our one and only trip will be to the supermarket once a week, we live on a private estate where almost all the neighbours are in their 70's.
    We will see where all this takes us.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• thespiceman
    edited March 2020
    Hello @woodbine   Latest on line shopping got yesterday.

Delivery driver turned up.

Had to drop every thing all the bags from crates to door opened.

Which had done.  I had to step away as he dumped bags in to Porch hall, me to add to larger bags to carry.

No touching of me or bags or asking back bags old ones.

Supermarkets will take not  your old bags back .

I do recommend one line shopping does not have to be supermarkets.

AMAZON have a Grocery and Pantry sections, I use them.

In fact lots of organic Butchers on line buy bulk buys.

Fish, Vegetables all sorts.

Anything you wish  to have.

Delivery driver added gave me the parcels over the front gate locked, not touching me. Never went in to Home or House front.

I do believe any deliveries drivers text you need to say new procedures.

Mentioned the elderly stay at home no one ever mentioned diet, nutrition to boost immunity.

Feel for all those elderly suppose how and when are they finding support or some one to 

Please I can advise help or be supportive please ask.

One of the most important things is be sterile, hygienic and washing of hands.

Disposable, wipes, kitchen towels.

Antibacterial wipes, sprays wash hands after wards, bleach down sinks, toilet bowls.

Please take care, keep safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • skullcap

Disposable, wipes, kitchen towels.

Antibacterial wipes, sprays wash hands after wards, bleach down sinks, toilet bowls.

Please take care, keep safe.

@thespiceman

Yes what brilliant ideas, that is unless like us we went to the supermarket for our weekly shop on Saturday only to find no cleaning products, no bleach, no hand sprays no wipes, no kitchen towels and obviously no toilet rolls (down to the last 4 pack now)
    What would you suggest?

It's even on the local town facebook page with pictures of empty shelves and two women fighting over what appears to be kitchen rolls or maybe toilet rolls.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    skullcap said:

Yes what brilliant ideas, that is unless like us we went to the supermarket for our weekly shop on Saturday only to find no cleaning products, no bleach, no hand sprays no wipes, no kitchen towels and obviously no toilet rolls (down to the last 4 pack now)
    What would you suggest?

It's even on the local town facebook page with pictures of empty shelves and two women fighting over what appears to be kitchen rolls or maybe toilet rolls.
    Supermarkets now have a limit on the amount of products people can buy on certain things. Aldi have a 4 item limit for ALL areas and this is for all items. Try in the next day or so and hopefully, you'll be able to find the items you need.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Thanks for this post @thespiceman
    Already self-isolating and working from home. I'm so lucky that I can!
    I have no doubt that at some point I'll get it (danged immune system!) but if I can delay getting it until things are starting to settle down and I can be less of a burden on the already overstretched NHS then at least I can do that.
    Good luck everyone! 
    Stay safe 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @skullcap. Thank you for comments.

I will add sign on line to on line supermarkets or companies such as AMAZON.

AMAZON  do a scheme called subscribe and save.

Nominate items to get monthly, three months or when ever you wish to.  Nominate more if you wish to I do spread them out yearly.

Anything household lot cheaper and get it delivered next day.

This month end of March, opted to get they tell you each time do you need this months or the items you need.

Skip or opt later .

Months this time is things like Kitchen Towels, Rubber Gloves, Bleach, Toiletries for my personal use.

You can even get grocery's or food items.

Please have a look, a sub will be required each month.

Get 15% discounts.

One piece of advice I would suggest is food meal planning.

I used to do a weekly shop plan two weeks to a third one.

It is also a concern as many of our community might not get a shop due to situations evolving .

Which is not helping. 

I would look at doing some sensible practical food planning.

Have at least three veggie based meals a week cuts shopping list and time.

When I talk about Veggies could be Soup, or Pasta or Rice use wholemeal lots of my recipes.

Beans on toast but use mixed beans , vary this with mushrooms or tomatoes.

Eggs Omelettes, Frittatas others.

Buy tinned Spaghetti hoops straight in a pan with freezer veg some stock and bread to serve.

Buy instant poached, cooked Fish use in Pasta salads or use in Cooked Microwave Rice with freezer veg.

Not got a freezer might be worth investing in one.

All new frost free fridge freezers.  Lots of bargains can be expensive but look at this link.

Another area to look at consumer advice, guidance in situations like this.

https://www.which.co.uk.

Think of being positive dealing with retailers want you business so think I through.

Recent discounts asked £30 off this laptop typing to you right now.

More than you think, all white goods have a price but ask.

Then use the freezer as a third store .

Got tubs of meals, sauces, soups, bread products, muffins, crumpets simple breakfast.

Milk can freeze portion it up.  Small tubs, whole milk only label.

All bread products in tin foil cheaper AMAZON big pack ready cut new line for you.  Fits to size any thing to freeze.

Understand the concern am here. Think different, can not get hand soap use washing up liquid.

Doing washing up using antibacterial washing up liquid save the water, unless very dirty.

Useful tip always scrub residues, any left over from plates , dishes pans use Kitchen Towels and in to bin.

Learn this working in restaurants, cafes. Less washing up liquid needed and leave it for washing hands, other products shower gel, bath foams instead of soaps.

Antibacterial can get multiple packs on line amazing prices all named brands delivery free on PRIME account.

On all these products for toilet needs, I had to sometimes.

Including tissues big huge packs lasts a long time, probably have a years worth and so cheap.

Instead of toilet rolls big kitchen towels.  Lots of them huge.

Please have a look.

https://www.amazon.co.uk.

Helps a lot.

For a minimal cost per month this means then have money from my benefit to help me with other things.

Not worry about food as many supermarkets the new ones have schemes to reserve a space or use favourites.

I stopped buying fresh use frozen except meat, all veggies, fruit one only fresh Apples and my Citrus my easy peelers.

One other Mushrooms.

Final point all these products food and veggies immunity boosters use them all the time.

Onions, Garlic, Yoghurt, Spices, Chicken, Beans, Apples, Citrus, Squashes Butternut, Peppers .

Courgettes, Tomato Products, Tins, Passata.

All contain Beta Carotene and Tomatoes Lycopene .

Enzymes and Cultures in Yoghurt help enormously.

Frozen Berries vast array of antibacterial properties and vitamins, nutritional healthy for you boosts Vitamin C content.

Cheaper than fresh, buy Frozen Mango diced with honey, yoghurt.

Ideas for you.

Please if I can help anything further please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • skullcap

Supermarkets now have a limit on the amount of products people can buy on certain things. Aldi have a 4 item limit for ALL areas and this is for all items. Try in the next day or so and hopefully, you'll be able to find the items you need.

Just returned from another shopping trip to Tesco, Sainsburys and Lidl. No toilet rolls and none expected in any time soon (as per the duty managers)..
    Ah well at least I haven't thrown away last weeks copies of the Mail. Nice job this afternoon cutting the newspaper up into 6" squares.
  • skullcap
    Instead of toilet rolls big kitchen towels.  Lots of them huge
    Extremely poor advice.
    The majority of kitchen rolls are manufactured to not break down in water. Using them as toilet tissue is likely to block the sewer system
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    skullcap said:
    Instead of toilet rolls big kitchen towels.  Lots of them huge
    Extremely poor advice.
    The majority of kitchen rolls are manufactured to not break down in water. Using them as toilet tissue is likely to block the sewer system

Yes indeed, as advised here https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-brits-urged-stop-flushing-21693535

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @skullcap lots of toilet paper on line AMAZON.

If you heeded my advice on that could be here tomorrow .

All ready and waiting for you.

One is apologetic if I have made an misjudgement.

I do hope that if you look on line AMAZON sign up might be worth using.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Username_removed   Not so will deliver the subscribe and save scheme AMAZON has.

Monday coming the usual item running out of.

Some are bulk buys not all.

Buy in bulk the essential if you wish to.

I use this scheme to get a monthly order some item choose whuch you can do skip for next month or choose to extend the delivery time.

Asked to deliver three months or so one.

Send you Email do you need this month reviews.

Choose not to or amend.

Helps me so never run out .

Was ill this year had been in the situation toilet stuff and other running out.

Used AMAZON delivery quicker. Signed up to this scheme have a look.

https://www.amazon.co.uk.

Means never miss a delivery of important essentials.

Discounts on orders .

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness