AEW YOU READY FOR VIRUS ISOLATION? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AEW YOU READY FOR VIRUS ISOLATION?

mrbuttons
mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
edited March 2020 in Coffee lounge
tobe honest i am terrified about what will happen as my carers won't be coming after tomorrow and i don't know my neighbours to ask them for help.
its all well and good the gov making plans for OAPs but what about us? we are under pension age and vulnerable.
how are you planning to manage?

don't panic buy, only shop for what you and your family needs.
continue to eat healthily to support your immune system
look in on your friends and neighbours
dont forget your regular pet food
share your experience and advice with others

good luck everyone, see you on the other side. :)<3

Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Good advice. If everyone followed that we would be OK.

12 weeks is an awfully long time to have to self isolate for. I feel sorry for anyone who is in that position and wish good luck to anyone who has to do so.

Stay safe everyone. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    On a lighter note I have prepared by treating myself to a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year old so I am all equipped to make hot toddies if I get the virus. :)
  • mrbuttons
    i bought myself a bottle of Talisker storm its lush <3
    if I have to do as my GP advises and self isolate i intend to do it in style.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hello @mrbuttons   Thank you for sharing.

Sorry to hear this.

Understand every one a lot of anxiety.

I know care  concerned for those like my self.

I live alone use on line constantly services and may add one more rarely see any one except delivery drivers or odd taxi driver.

There has been a lot of advice and guidance for those with mental health issues.

These are mine I would consider thinking about using.

1. News media and certain misinformation  can cause anxiety so do not tune in.

I never watch news morning days times or night times.  All too much.

2.  Make a safe guarding plans for you self, be aware of your vulnerability 

Make adjustments and look at links to help you.

Support services on line, shopping websites, NHS websites.

I use NHS websites and have 111 on a list of numbers to call.

Including Samaritans if needed.

3.  Plan shopping meals ideas look on webpages supermarkets. Sign up many as you wish to.

Use practical common sense. Think forward used diary reminders think of making meals or adapting ideas and short cuts.

Plenty of my ideas on the forum, simple easy.

Use a slow cooker best way to cook a lot of the time if not good in the kitchen, always here.  Supportive.

4. One tip do this something to remember .  Look on line AMAZON has subscribe save schemes .

Basically buy five or more items use all the time more if you wish to.

These then come monthly or your choosing, they inform you by Email.

Skip put back got enough or adjust to few months ahead.

Got a delivery soon of rubber gloves, washing up liquid, kitchen towel and so on . Wipes.

Next few months on next on another one get a different set of five will run out.

You are bulk buying.  Which means you get an annual delivery all the time each few months.

All home stores, toilet, kitchen supplies do this.

Means have money to spend else where instead of high inflation prices supermarkets.

AMAZON do a basic range nothing wrong to use good value.

5.  Make simple changes think positive eat healthy.

Boots immune systems. Certain nutrition, diet foods help.

Plenty of vegetables, fruit.

Chicken, beans pulses and whole grains, yoghurt and eggs.

Fish tinned or frozen or cooked .

Spices Turmeric, Chillies, Ginger, all immune boosters.  Ginger Turmeric known for health benefits.

Tomatoes, Peppers, Sweet Potatoes, Squashes good for Beta Carotene antibacterial.

Brightly coloured veggies, fruit help a lot.

6. Be clean, hygienic does not cost a lot to do.

Antibacterial wipes, sprays bleach all helpful.

7.  Use floor cloths dispose or kitchen towels .  Big rolls on line retailers.

8.  Wash hands either hand soap for 20 seconds anything food prep, toilet.

Fill a hot sink with water soapy use antibacterial washing up liquid if need to use that, helps.

I usually leave sink after filling with soapy water , useful standby.

Sometimes will leave after washing up if not a lot saves a lot of time.

9.  Collecting prescription service can have meds delivered.

Doctors own surgery website or setting up account with plenty of services.

I use this.

Consider other services on line banking to pay bills or set up debits.

10. Finally you are human if have a panic or anxiety attack realise the ways to cope think of finding methods to use.

Deep breathing, meditation or using ways to relax.

Music helps .

Please if have sleep issues which is common find a way to cope.

Get up move around.  Turn off computers all electrical, devices.

Have a routine if struggling.

Use milky warm drinks, wholemeal toast honey.

Try to relax could do simple tasks washing up, read a book.

Till tired.

Make sure meals full of vegetables lean meat pulses beans help.

Please any questions happy to help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I would suggest using a lot of caution if you do find yourself in need of help due to having to self isolate it could be worth checking out nextdoor.co.uk there may be individuals or organisations happy to help out.

At the moment we are just gearing up to identify those in our community who are at risk and informing residents that there is help to get shopping medicine etc.  if needed. This includes using various ways for them to ask for help.  This will also include some training on how the volunteers can reduce any risk to themselves. 

I was going to speak to my boss today about working from home as I fall in the high-risk group but got a whats ap message this morning to say that we have been advised to work from home today.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Cutelady60
    Cutelady60 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I’m been so anxious I can’t even sleep at night not self isolating yet but it’s coming I am dreading up to 14 weeks isolation. Good luck to everyone who has to do it. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I ran out of anti bacterial soap a few days ago (it is the one I usually use). I couldn't find any anywhere. I was talking to my Dad the next day and told him I couldn't get any soap and he managed to find me some in his local shop. It was the last bottle they had. I think it is beginning to scare a lot of people now as the government keep changing the goal posts! I think it will get to the point soon where everyone will be afraid to go out the house.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    mrbuttons said:
    don't panic buy, only shop for what you and your family needs.

We're told not to panic buy...but also not to go into public areas for the next 3 months.  I'm sure supermarkets are far more contaminated than pubs! :/

I went into 3 major supermarkets yesterday trying to find basic supplies like handwash & kitchen roll (I get through an awful lot of both!) and couldn't - the supermarkets were packed too and it was a horrible experience in all honesty, even worse than xmas week.  I did eventually find some handwash in a small shop 10 miles away.  There were only 2 left so I bought one and left the other, hopefully for someone that only has local accessibility as I am able to drive myself.  

With regards to not knowing your neighbours, it would still be worth asking if you need the help.  I don't know my neighbours (only know which car they drive lol) but would be happy to try and help with groceries or a bit of housework when my own issues permit.  If you're in the vulnerable group though (sorry, can't remember what your conditions are!) you should be very careful about who you let in and even touching groceries someone else has bought for you though.  I'd suggest it's worth giving them a wipe over with anti-viral spray at this point (the groceries, not the visitors! ;) ).
  • thespiceman
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Please can I suggest that you read what I said about on line shopping.

Plenty on line of everything you need.

One further point delivery drivers turn up knock on your door.

Put groceries inside hall or entrance way, do not come in. Used to do this.

Had AMAZON driver hand my parcel over a gate  and some have knocked and left parcels in the my hall ways when opened doors.

No touching no contact. Might have to sign items.

Understand the stress and the anxiety.

I do recommend signing on line websites.  Super markets.

I hope that gives you reassurance.

Please if I can help with anything please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Overlyanxious mentioned antiviral spray. I don't know where he got it.
    The shops have nothing antibacterial,  which is what people are buying because they mistakenly think it is antiviral. 
    There isn't even ordinary Milton for baby bottles. 
    There are no thermometers,  even in warehouses 

The n.h.s refuses to test for corona except for in-patients. That includes refusing tests for their own staff.
    The private firms which do, are not accredited

The self isolating cannot know if they and their partners have been infected or not, so in the (common)case of two doctors or other healthcare workers, the government's refusal to test is depriving the n.h.s. and care sector of a considerable number of willing and non infected workers , or, even more importantly,  of the vital resource  of workers who have been exposed but had minor or no symptoms,  and now have the invaluable research tool of antibodies in their blood, along with, as far as is known, an immunity to reinfection as they continue  their work amid the most infectious patients. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Plenty on line of everything you need.
    I thought there would be but handwash, disinfectant, kitchen roll etc all seems to be out of stock on the supermarket websites now and delivery slots are being booked solid for the next 2 weeks currently.  I know you're not able to get out easily so hope you can get everything you'll need.

I haven't had an online supermarket shop yet, I have so many checks & rituals around choosing each food item and then packing & transporting it safely that it works out as the lesser of two evils for me to visit the supermarket myself at the quietest possible time.  I was going to try my first online shop this week, but as I say, there's nothing available on there either!  As the virus becomes more prevalent, I may end up with no option but to try an online shop eventually though.

Just a quick note for anyone that uses Tesco stores, you can check their stock levels at individual stores via Facebook Messenger.  Of course, it's possible that they sell out before you get there, but it's helpful to save a trip if they don't have the item you need in stock.
  • OverlyAnxious
    newborn said:
    Overlyanxious mentioned antiviral spray. I don't know where he got it.
    The shops have nothing antibacterial,  which is what people are buying because they mistakenly think it is antiviral. 
    There isn't even ordinary Milton for baby bottles. 
    There are no thermometers,  even in warehouses 

The n.h.s refuses to test for corona except for in-patients. That includes refusing tests for their own staff.
    The private firms which do, are not accredited
    I'm a contamination OCD sufferer, my normal shopping basket looks like everyone else's Corona panic basket! :D  I always bulk buy handwash, wipes, kitchen roll etc so already had 5 bottles of Dettol spray in the cupboard.  Good job too as I haven't seen any this week, if you don't have any you will struggle to find it sadly.  

Most anti-bacterial stuff does kill viruses as well btw, you just have to check the small print.  Even normal soap is effective against viruses though as it breaks them down easily.

From what I've seen, there aren't enough testing kits for NHS staff yet, so they're prioritising the patients most in need currently.  They will start testing a lot more when (or if!) the test kits become more available.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    A friend of mine works at morrisons and she says that when they open at 7am people are queueing outside the shop and once they are in the shop it is like supermarket sweep.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @OverlyAnxious If you look at AMAZON website.

https://www.amazon.co.uk.

You need to subscribe pay a monthly fee.

Lots of the toilet items are available you can bulk buys in my opinion the best.

You might have to evaluate your own costs, expenses. Budget else where.

Around the end of the year start planning what do need to buy on bulk or add to subscribe and save.

All the time recognising if I do this have to realise will not be spending on any thing except food so freeing up extra money.

Because have a lot money tied up in boxes and groceries.  Full of bulk buys, means also more money for me treats and other things I need.

Hope that helps you understand that it is worth in the end.

Please ask me any questions, happy to answer.

One final point many people living in vast rural areas do this all the time, buy on line and purchase bulk buys.

How I started in a rural village right now been isolated used on line services all the time.

Got no car and transport except taxi now and again.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Bulk buying is great if you have the money to do that but sadly many people can hardly afford to live week to week without the extra added cost of bulk buying.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @poppy123456   I do understand this and do feel for every one.

When I meant bulk buying I meant looking on line the not named brands we all love.

The current situation is the named brands are disappearing been on right now. AMAZON website.

There offers on companies that are not named brands.

Companies prices under £5 for 12 toilet rolls big ones.

Need to scan and decide look and make a decision.

Everything here I buy is not unless I can afford it a named brands.

Many are from Italy or Spain my Pasta, sauces lot cheaper better quality.

Are shipped over as I have a PRIME account some are free delivery some are not.

Even so a vast range of household goods from other countries brands never heard of and do take a chance.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    Bulk buying is great if you have the money to do that but sadly many people can hardly afford to live week to week without the extra added cost of bulk buying.
    This is very true.  My ESA came through yesterday, I set most aside for rent/bills, then tried to do next Monday's shopping today and got a few extras like batteries & stamps so I won't need to go out for them separately.  It's also the anniversary of my Nan's death so I bought a small  bunch of flowers to place on her grave. Just looked at my account and have just £20 left until the end of the month now!  :o  

The only saving grace is that there are 5 Tuesdays in March, so I'll get another ESA payment on the 31st, the day before rent and some of the bills are due!

I also live in a small studio flat so don't have the space to bulk buy large quantities of any single item.  I tend to buy 2 or 3 of each cleaning product at a time.  I would buy more if I had the space and funds but it's just not possible at the moment.
  • mrbuttons
    i gave up trying to get a supermarket delivery. none have anything available for weeks. how are we to keep food on the table?
     social services are supposed to step in for people without social or family support. they cant cope during normal times never mind during a global pandemic. i'm beginning to think they want us all to die alone in our homes :'(
  • thespiceman
    edited March 2020
    Hello @mrbuttons   Sorry to hear this.  I know been an serious issues with on line shopping.

Please is there anything I can advise on.

To give you reassurance please if I can add. My advice and some tips, tricks to consider if having food supplies dwindling.

I have lots of posts on cheap, budget eats.

1.  Do a stock check of supplies, groceries you have.

2. Make it simple make it easy anything can advise on.

3. Breakfast does not have to be the usual we have daily.

Use Rice, Couscous, Noodles or Pasta to bulk out meals.

I had Chickpea Vegetable Curry for Breakfast mild and filling.

Freezer veggies essential.

Evening meal  Soup mixes . Containing dried pulses.  Soak over night drain and add to a stock cube.

Boil and add to any recipe or any meat.

4. Make vegetables star of the show. Tinned, frozen dried.

Use Tinned fruit with meals or dried or any fresh use.

5.Look on line daily.  I know delivery spots full, I will add be patient and it is just some times keep looking.

Might have to get up early or stay up late.

6.  If no on line shopping delivery spots look at other shops. Freezer ones.

7. If and when you do get on, please think about is this worth freezing in small portions and in tubs or zip bags.

8.. Whole Chicken or any thing like Turkey Thigh Joint.

Meatballs can all be made in to meals with vegetables.

Shred Chicken Turkey Thigh Joint, use Ham Hocks cheap cuts. Shoulder Pork in to Oven or large slow cooker.  Shin of Beef shredded great Chilli or Bolognese.

Makes a lot of Tubs.

9.  If you have a family cook together make meals and freeze.

Depends on the age of the Children but kitchen equipment becomes useful.

Food processor slicer dicers and blenders.  Slow Cooker.

Pads out freezer, buy if and when Soup Mixes freeze in tubs with Stock or any vegetables freeze short life span.

Into Tubs with Stock Passata herbs and freeze.

Can if and when defrosting blend this up and use as soup, stock base for meat sauce.

Use Zip bags to store frozen veggies, fruit and look at Spinach, Floret mixes or veggie mixes.

Cheaper.

10.  Use what chefs call tumble downs. Make for example one meal like Bolognese any left turn it in Chilli.

Big packs of Meatballs fresh use half add sauce Pasta or Half Curry or sauce of your choosing.

Cut them in half to make them last longer.  

11. Stocks sauces make in to soup.

I know if you do have any children hard to feed.

If some problems, I used to make Peanut Butter Sandwiches the smooth one.

If the Children have no allergies.  Can suggest ideas and any solutions even make a menu for you if you wish to anything  you have in stores.

Please do one wants you to die and to give you reassurance.

Please have a look at any links suggested . 

Understand every thing, please if you need support or talk you are not alone.

Difficult times for every one, if I can help please get in touch.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • mrbuttons
     I have some good news that might help others in my situation. I phoned around lots of local charities to see if I could get help with the shopping and the only one that could help wasAGE CONCERN.  they have a shopping service for vulnerable over 50's. it cost £20on top of the cost of the groceries to cover the person's expenses. for me it is a Godsend. the volunteers are police checked and reliable.

on another note, how are we doing emotionally in the midst of this crisis?
    i am struggling emotionally since yesterday i have been tearful and anxious. I find myself rocking back and forth on the sofa or pacing the room. this morning i sat in my car and screamed for 10mins. i really don't know how long i can do this, 12 wks without human contact.i have played all my audiobooks and computer games caught up on my netflix shows and put on a brave face for video calls with family overseas. im not bored, I'm scared and trying to keep my chin up. all that's on tv news is the virus i want to keep up to date without being scared witless.

take care of yourselves.

Brightness