Enhanced disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enhanced disability premium

Rst1707
Rst1707 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, was wondering if someone could help with regards to EDP. 

I was sent an Esa3 form last year to fill out which I did. The reply I got said I wasn't due money because apparently I was in the Wrag when I first got converted from IB to ESA. When I rang to speak to someone about it I was told they had checked eligibility only for the date of conversion and decided I wasn't eligible then.

Since then I was put in support group (been in support group since 2012), however they didn't check eligibility for any other point in my claim, only the point of conversion.

I sought advice and was told that I was eligible for the EDP due to being in the support group but I've never received it. I've never worked or had any other income or had any savings, I pass (& always have passed) the means test criteria so I feel like I should've been getting the EDP from the point I was put into the support group until now basically.

I've since had to apply for universal credit to get the premiums, on advice of jobcentre staff. They said as UC has taken over all income related benefits that I could no longer get the EDP, I had to get the top up via UC, so that's what I've done. 

I also did another esa3 requesting assessment for income related eligibility because they never did it years ago when they should've. I asked for this to be looked at from the point when I was put in the support group as I think I've been missing out on years worth of EDP. Call centre staff have been useless, costantly telling me no you don't get it when you are on Cont-based, despite me knowing through extensive research that you can. They are adamant I can't though. It's been a nightmare trying to get thus sorted and I'm so stressed about it. 

I called at the start of the week and was told it was with a decision maker. I just wondered if anyone here could advise whether I should've been getting the EDP since support group? It's taken so long to try sort this and it still hasn't been sorted yet. It's caused me great stress, I guess it's make me feel better if anyone who knew about it  ould advise whether it's likely in due backdated EDP as I'm sure I should've been and its frustrating to have missed out on money for all this time. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If you live alone (no partner) with no other income, including any pension and you don't have savings/capital over £16,000 and you weren't receiving any transitional support protection when you transferred from IB to ESA then i don't see any reason why you weren't entitled to any EDP when you were in the support group.

The advice you were given to claim UC for the top ups was the incorrect advice and if you were entitled to it then you should have been able to add that to your claim before you transferred across. Although, LCWRA for UC pays more per month the ESA support group income related. Unless you're entitled to SDP and then of course you would be excluded from UC anyway.

So my question is do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and if so does anyone claim carers allowance or the carers element of UC for looking after you? and do you live alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rst1707
    No, I'm on dla low rate so don't qualify for SDP. No one claims carers allowance for me and never has and yes I live alone. I'm pretty sure I should've been getting it, my Esa3 is apparently with a decision maker according to the person I spoke to on the phone early. The longer it takes to hear back the more stressed. I'm getting and more. Worried I am that they'll try and deny that I was entitled to it when I'm pretty sure I am. 

So it was wrong when they told me I couldn't claim EDP from now and had to claim UC instead, is that what you're saying? I hope it doesn't affect my chances of getting my missed EDP backdated.. Something else to worry about! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You're correct law rate care DLA doesn't entitle you to SDP.

From what you've said i can't see any reason why you shouldn't have been claiming the EDP and why you won't be entitled to backdated money. Claiming UC now will not affect any entitlement you would have or should have had for the EDP.

I'm assuming that before you claimed UC your ESA was £111.65 per week from April 8th 2019?

I'm also assuming that your current ESA is still being received because CB ESA is not part of UC and your ESA payments should be being deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rst1707
    Yes that's both correct - I do receive £111.65 ESA per week as of that date and all that about the ESA and UC is exactly what the situation is for my claims at the minute yes.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I hear back before long and that it's a good decision as its been a hassle trying to get this sorted. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.