TO ALL MEMBERS FREEZER MEALS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TO ALL MEMBERS FREEZER MEALS

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one hope you all OK and coping.

These are my meals for the freezer I make a lot.

Using Chicken and Vegetables portions and ready to flash through Oven when defrosted.

Or use Microwave.

I have also included other ones as well including Meatballs.

Advice if I can suggest buy a whole Chicken how much you can afford.

If you poach or roast in the Oven do get a lot of meat. For me a single gent got five tubs of Chicken and Vegetables.

A week almost of food from one Chicken.

I also buy Chicken Legs, Drumsticks and cook them in the Oven use tin foil trays or roasting pans no washing up and disposable .

Shred and add to a sauce.

Make batches of these as well ideal for freezing.

Do two types Tomato based with Onion using Passata. Herbs, spices if I wish to.

Or Curry Sauce with Curry Powder no frills and add that to stock cubes.

Both are good to use as antibacterial good for immune systems. Right now that is in my opinion what we need.

To roast a Chicken you need the following.

One Large Chicken .

Olive Oil, Black Pepper, Salt, Lemon Juice, use teaspoon of each in a bowl.

Either pour it over or brush it on, coat Chicken into tin foil roasting tray 150 degrees Oven slow and long for a couple of hours.

Remove allow to cool and then use as in any recipes you wish to.

Poaching large Chicken with Roots some water and stock cubes season herbs.

Allow to simmer remove after hour may be a little longer.

Test with a knife if still juices not run clear then leave.  

One point Chicken is going to be cooked into Sauces again simmer and will be cooked through.

One other simply do the same with Drumsticks, Legs lemon Olive oil marinade into Oven. Cool and shred in to Sauces.

Meat on the carcass can not remove in a pan with hot water from Kettle removes meat after poaching some more to use.

Sauces to go with any of these are.

Pasta Tomato use Passata, Garlic Or Onion Powder if can not get any.

I use a spice mix with dried Onions, Garlic and Spices in it on line bought.

Add stock cube and liquid and rest of Passata, seasonings and any vegetables you wish add Chicken shredded and simmer warm through.  30 minutes.  Chicken is cooked, Passata is cooked all not necessary to blast heat.

Anything to add Chillies or Spices up to you.  

You are reheating again later when defrosting.

Cool down in bowls sink cold water after wards.

Curry sauce simple one any Curry spices mix stock cube, liquid, tin tomatoes or Passata.

Add Onions or any veggies you wish to.  Simmer and add shredded Chicken.

Same as before cool down in bowls sink cold water, label all tubs.

Do the same with Meatball ready made. Pork ones Turkey add the same sauces.

Does help.

Any left over sauces made in to soups for another meal.

Use mixed vegetables or soup packs supermarket, freeze those as well.

Use them as a vegetable Curry.  Or a Tomato based Minestrone.

Please if you have any questions about freezing food or not sure please ask me.

Thank you all for reading.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ thespiceman, you’ve given us all food for thought the only trouble is the shelves are empty and where not able to fight our way through the crowds to fill our baskets. 
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Ive been going to the supermarket here later in the day. Afternoon usually and there are no crowds then, although all the loo roll, paracetamol etc are gone there has been lots of food left.  There was some fresh meat left at my local sains yesterday at about 1pm. And i even got a small pack of self raising flour then.

I havent been at all in the mornings and havent seen any crowds at all in sains, tesco or aldi. Maybe try midday. There is food left then, definitely.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @wilko   Sorry to hear this just thinking of my community.

I do understand and may be need to consider thinking of if you can gain access the on line shopping on line delivery service.

I would also recommend look at any of  these in your area.

Something I would add frozen meat Chicken, or any sort is good as fresh.

In these circumstances, if not using supermarkets look at Freezer shops.

On line many available, no only Iceland.

You can defrost cook and freeze again nothing wrong doing that.

These are suggestions, ideas have issued around the forum.

I am aware of the difficulties from every one and am only trying to help.

Maybe if you file away these recipes and ideas if you come and find a freezer shop or a supermarket use them, one other have a lot of veggie meals as well.

Which will put on the forum, using frozen veggies and ideas I use some are not many ingredients.

Not only about meat if is about surviving on making something from nothing that is the whole point of my suggestions, ideas .

I if I can explain to you many countries live in abject poverty but have better diets and nutrition. We do not.

All vegetable based lots of beans, pulses and Tomato based with spices , I eat this myself .

If not meat buy Fish frozen cheaper and do this in the Oven baking trays a lot easier.

Still do use many of the old Italian recipes.

Please if I can help with anything further or wish to ask me simple veggie recipes can do so.

Or any recipes please ask me happy to advise.

Please keep safe , keep in touch and warm.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Online shopping is great providing you can get the delivery slots. Most places don't have any free slots for at least the next few weeks.

@anisty i went to Asda early this afternoon because i needed cat litter and tea bags. Although there was no toilet roll, they had fresh meat, steak, chicken, pork. Plenty of bread, tins, fruit, vegetables. Actually i was very surprised.

They were even giving away large bunches of flowers and i was given a bunch. Made me smile today because no one gives me flowers lol. I'm assuming that no one bought flowers for mothers day yesterday so they had a huge amount left.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    I think this lockdown should make it easier for us to get our shopping. It should put an immediate stop to people pushing and shoving to strip shelves bare.

We should all be able to get the essentials we need.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for this @thespiceman, lots of helpful tips!
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman, the online shopping is so advanced Pre booked that my daughter was offered end of April the earliest slot not much good, did get milk and bread while out on my scooter dog walking bread man just made a delivery.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    We ( in east central Scotland are waiting two days for an Iceland delivery) ...we got a delivery just before the panick buying started ...We were short of a few things " out of stock" but we got the main shop and filled our freezer . So I cannot complain . We ( my wife and i) are self isolating and my son is getting anything we need and leaving it at our front door for us. ( he does not want to chance us catching the virus and will not come in ) We have really good neighbours who today said to us that if we need anything at all , just to let them know and they will get it for us . My son went into our local Aldi yesterday morning when it opened , he was surprised there were very few shoppers ...and the shelves were full . ?
    Everybody ....Please take care in the next few months , and may your God go with you ??

• thespiceman
    Hello @wilko   @anisty any one else on here please if I can ask.

Do a stock check tell me what you have, I will offer my time to give some choices easy things to do with what you have in stores, fridge freezer and anything else.

No matter what it is tell me anything everything.

Please get in touch happy to help.

Look forward to supporting you all.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    I'm enjoying the recipes. 
    For anyone still having issues with there a number of milk rounds evolving different it each area. They a a co operative type thing with local dairy, local fruit and farms some with local butchers fish mongers and some have basic cupboard suppliers theres quite a few out never noticed. But if live in flats or have electric the might be able to it. I google milkman for my area loads came up. Not bad price all fresh twice a wk they del early morn.

Great recipes @thespiceman

Brightness