Fibromyalgia and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and benefits

Land
Land Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everybody hope your keeping  safe.
Does anybody suffer fibromyalgia and get help with benefits while working part time 

Comments

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @Land - its great to have you here in our Community. We hope you find some like-minded people here and some reassurance and advice that helps with your particular issue. Have a look around the different boards - if you can’t find a board that relates to what you have in mind, feel free to post it here and myself and my colleagues will try to redirect you. Again, welcome.  :smile:
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Lots of people have fibromyalgia and claim benefits while working part time. Whether you're entitled to any benefits though will totally depend on your circumstances. With no information it's impossible to give any further help regarding means tested benefits. If you live with a partner that works then the only benefit that's possible to claim will be Universal Credit. Whether you're entitled to this will depend on your household income.

PIP isn't means tested but claiming this will depend on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support your claim. However because of Covid19 pandemic no face to face assessments are being carried out for at least 3 months. A new claim for PIP could take quite some time. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • radders
    radders Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi, hope you're having a good day. I have fibromyalgia and CFS , I work full time , with adjustments and claim PIP, I also have a blue badge. I get lower rate PIP of £230 per month , which help with prescription costs, and swimming pool and massage costs etc( obviously not during lockdown ? ) . My advice is, keep all doctors letters, appointments and copies of prescriptions etc, send off for an application form and fill it in over few days, rather than all in one go as it can be mentally draining.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• radders
    radders Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi thanks for that, I didn't know but the chemist told me about it just before lockdown, I now have an annual one, it'll save me a fortune .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.