AEW YOU READY FOR VIRUS ISOLATION? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AEW YOU READY FOR VIRUS ISOLATION?

2»

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is my list of isolation tips:

1- Go for walks in a local park at least once a week
    2- Watch films with your husband or friends etc as well
    3- Take up a new hobby like sewing for example 
    4- Play board or card games with your kiddos
    5- Dance around your living room to music
    6- Learn a new skill using YouTube tutorials as a teaching aid
    7- Bake something as a family like biscuits or cakes
    8- Run errands for family members or friends
    9- Have a discussion on a unrelated topic with a friend or family member
    10- Sleep or take care of yourself (this includes painting your nails and showering too!) 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    *Glares at @April2018mom*

After the initial shock my wife and daughter couldn't stop laughing when I started painting my nails, and my daughter says I have to replace what I used. That said my nails are now a deep purple with sparkle  o:)

Hope you and the family are all well. Now I'm going to try the first part of  your tenth suggestion ;)

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    You should do some of the other suggestions too @Geoark and see what happens. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Mr Buttons....don't have the news channels on tv all the time. Allow yourself one catch up a day...at a certain time and for a certain length of time...then turn it off.or over.

I think media makes us more scared and worried...they repeat the figures affected over and over.....don't watch it...

Pollsx
  • pollyanna1052
    I think adding £20 on top of food fetching is wrong. It wont cost £20s worth of petrol...cheek! \Charities should not be taking advantage of vulnerable folk.

There is help from local councils.

If you`ve had a letter from government that you must stay indoors, there is a help line to contact for deliveries.

Pollsx

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Sorry to say this part of life now if want any help and assistance. 

Then last few years or more had to when enrolling set up standing order. Support workers car parking and fees petrol if even had used my own car.

Required a support worker in attendance.

I had the money made allowance each month, I understand the issues reasons why.

Did you know used to be a volunteer driver visiting ladies who were either disabled or mentally ill.

Help them get about had to use own money finance my self then, those times.

Went where called to assist if you know the North East.

Anywhere from Newcastle areas to North Yorkshire on benefits or used salary if I was working.

Been a volunteer driver since having a licence costs per month  to me hundreds of pounds per month.

Got expenses form back included in that would be additional costs of blue badge parking discs costs. Some places have the need to.

What irked me was the amount of times my expenses scrutinised by senior staff.

One charity gave me a budget costing them too much and in the end was forced to leave.  Means lot so the elderly ladies who I was a white knight to never got out.

Felt extremely guilty but had to become in debt to expenses not being paid.

Another reason is the insurance and health and safety aspects of being a volunteer driver.

This current situation, with myself had to put a sign in the car no smoking and other signs.

No bad behaviour language some do misbehave amazes me no matter how old the clientele are.

Had complaints been assaulted, hit, spat and used for not original purposes of being a volunteer driver with underlying insinuations.

Threaten by family members of the person concerned.

No one knows more than me what is behind each and every door.

Really could fill an exercise book with stories.

All members of our Community had a range of disabilities and illness, though be kind polite and supportive.

Helping them to get about be grateful very few were. Long silences in car could not and did not wish to talk to me, some of them.

Others bossy telling me how to drive and critical.

Although made comments about my disability and much more some very cutting. 

Each time had to make a report. I know and dealt with many who were demanding insisting and stubborn.

Self centred not wishing to say please or thank you.

Now here in safety lost car through Motability scheme.  Middle rate

Spent time doing this lot better.

Any thing meant to ask, can I help you with. Please ask me.

Tag me . Any problems or issues, difficulties.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    Hi Spiceman, my hubby and I are doing well thankyou. My carers are still coming in....and doing my care as normal.
    They are also doing our shopping.

I`m sorry to hear how your volunteering ended....shameful the way some people are treated, when trying to help others.

Keep safe
    Pollsx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Thank you kind words.

I just wanted to add the reasons why.

Please great to hear your OK.

Good to know and please take care of your self.

Love reading your posts.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Hi all
    Think your experience with volunteering @thespiceman, notice how much charities are losing money now the volunteers are in the shops. Wonder how many chief executives, top managers etc taking percentage pay cut to help in this time of crisis? Noted locally, (before isolation I am keeping to staying in) many shops closed recently stating closed early/today due to lack of volunteers, my original thought was were is the paid manager/area manager!
    I have used Age concern in the past for small jobs but once their prices started rising i found trades people through local papers, internet etc. £20 is not even reasonable. Instead of offering coordinated shopping for several people to cut costs.
    Overlyanxious reach out to your local council etc you should be able to access extra funds most councils have list of charities who offer help to people. Most have financial aid available to help people and under these circumstances you should qualify although I expect there is higher demand. Don't give up and if they cannot offer financial aid they may be able to help you access items free.
    Also, contact your landlord and utilities and explain you are having trouble with paying for the extra essentials which are necessities as recommended by the government to keep you safe. Hopefully they will be sympathetic to ease your financial burden.
    You could also email your MP explaining as you have in messages the situation you find yourself in.They maybe able to offer advice on who to contact or send your details on to an organisation who may be able to help. 
    If more people emailed their MP's during this period explaining how hard it is to survive on ESA and many other benefits perhaps when this is all over they may actually look at the true cost of living. The most annoying saying, which comes from all political parties at the moment surrounds the question how are people supposed to live on £94.25? How many MP's, etc have said that about disabled payments? Has yours?
    In today's world I still find it hard to believe that some people are given so little to live on. £20 for the rest of the month is a disgrace. Good Luck and I am sure there is plenty of advice on this site which will help.
    Take care in the best way that suits you all and keep safe.

Brightness