Food parcels for the most vulnerable — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food parcels for the most vulnerable

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Hello,

I have registered for the government funded food program. I can’t go out to get my medication or foods. Received a letter from the NHS and a letter from my GP telling me I’m vulnerable and should stay in.

Does anyone know when this program will start?

Thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Good Afternoon.
    I don't know when but soon I would think as the situation is getting worse. May I ask you how you registered.? I need to do this myself.
  • tcellmutation
    charlie79 said:
    Good Afternoon.
    I don't know when but soon I would think as the situation is getting worse. May I ask you how you registered.? I need to do this myself.
    0800 028 8327

Have your 10 digit NHS number ready that’s on the letter you received from the NHS
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    Hello @charlie79   Thank you for your post.

Website address and link.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Please if I can help with anything please ask me.

Part of my role.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    So glad to hear you were able to receive food @tcellmutation! :) 
    Scope

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Ahh, thank you for the picture. I am sorry for the late reply. The problem is I have 2 friends who care for me one who has 2  children with autism and the other is self-isolating. how much does the box cost and how do you pay for it. Did you get the new GOLD toilet paper in your parcel lol? They're telling us to improvise lol. I am hoping I won't any time soon have to convert my shower into a bday.......
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    The box from the government is free and would feed one person for two weeks. It contains all branded items as well.
    The only "price" is that you would need to be in the top 50,000 people in the country most vulnerable to infection.

Separate to this, one of the big four supermarkets has emailed me to say that they are setting-up a priority system based on the government's list. This will even have the option of a recurring, weekly delivery slot for as long as is necessary. Naturally you can't do this with more than one supermarket.
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2020
    The box from the government is free and would feed one person for two weeks. It contains all branded items as well.
    The only "price" is that you would need to be in the top 50,000 people in the country most vulnerable to infection.

Separate to this, one of the big four supermarkets has emailed me to say that they are setting-up a priority system based on the government's list. This will even have the option of a recurring, weekly delivery slot for as long as is necessary. Naturally you can't do this with more than one supermarket.
    Just to add that the food parcels are being delivered weekly.
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2020
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    charlie79 said:
    Good Afternoon.
    0800 028 8327

Have your 10 digit NHS number ready that’s on the letter you received from the NHS
    Not as simple as that. Yes you do need your NHS number to APPLY to be considered as extremely vulnerable.
    Due to the many applications from those that are trying to cheat the system the NHS will now check through your medical files and contact those that are treating you to come to a decision if you are indeed extremely vulnerable.

You would get a SMS confirming receipt of the application and telling you that it could be up to a week before their checks have been completed. Only then will you be added to the list.

Blame those that have seen the application as a back door to getting priority slots with the supermarkets.

• Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Most supermarkets are now offering slots to people on the vulnerable list so it is important if you have been sent a letter to act on it and also important to register if you have been missed out. 
    Before registering I checked with local pharmacy who knows condition and agreed to deliver.
    Since registering it is easier to book delivery slots, however, although we are vulnerable it is important that we remember others who may be in a situation were they are unable to go out yet are not classed as vulnerable and shop wisely. Ask do we need a weekly shop or can we stretch it out longer. We are regardless all in this situation.
    I know people mention free food parcels but why do people who are isolating for 12 weeks need free food parcels more than any other section of the community? Would we not be going out shopping anyway?
    I was sent a link to a person actually complaining about the box. 
    Do we really need help for doing our bit for the country.

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Bridget14 said:

I know people mention free food parcels but why do people who are isolating for 12 weeks need free food parcels more than any other section of the community? Would we not be going out shopping anyway?
    Firstly, no we would not all be going out. I cannot do more than a few items in a supermarket because of my disabilities.
    Secondly, some of us might soon lose our employment and the changeover to benefits is not currently practical.

Go ahead and suggest means-testing to the gov. if it concerns you.
  • Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    I applied Wednesday afternoon and was contacted yesterday relating to booking a slot. I am so glad checks are in place for people who abuse as so many people are falling through the net.
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2020
    skullcap said:
    charlie79 said:
    Good Afternoon.
    0800 028 8327

Not as simple as that. Yes you do need your NHS number to APPLY to be considered as extremely vulnerable.
    Due to the many applications from those that are trying to cheat the system the NHS will now check through your medical files and contact those that are treating you to come to a decision if you are indeed extremely vulnerable.

You would get a SMS confirming receipt of the application and telling you that it could be up to a week before their checks have been completed. Only then will you be added to the list.

Blame those that have seen the application as a back door to getting priority slots with the supermarkets.

To begin with...

Received letters from the government, doctors surgery and my consultants telling me I’m one of the most vulnerable.

Regarding the supermarkets...I received an email with priority slots. 

Regarding the food parcels, I signed up. No confirmation was received, it was just delivered unless this has changed with the last few days. Every forum I have read have also confirmed this. If you could kindly provide a link to your findings?
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited April 2020
    Hi @tcellmutation

You have explained the process in great detail and you are a worthy recipient of the scheme.

Thank you.

@skullcap

Is a fine example of how we all must be on guard, against scammers or trolls at this difficult period.

Hawkinge @skullcap!

Hawkinge Town Council!

More to follow @Yadnad or Oldestrocker!

I will post tomorrow at 10 am, with further details.

Good night @skullcap.

It all depends on the forensic accountancy!!!

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @atlas47 - You have me intrigued!
  • tcellmutation
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Bridget14 said:
    Since registering it is easier to book delivery slots, however, although we are vulnerable it is important that we remember others who may be in a situation were they are unable to go out yet are not classed as vulnerable and shop wisely. Ask do we need a weekly shop or can we stretch it out longer. 
    Wise words. We have always done a shop every Friday for as long as I can remember. We decided that this was inappropriate as we could do one every other week and still cope.
    Hence why we only have our shop delivered every other Friday. So instead of 52 times a year we have now got it down to 26.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited April 2020
    skullcap said:
    charlie79 said:
    Good Afternoon.
    0800 028 8327

I think those are harsh words, I think if someone considers themselves vulnerable such as been housebound, are they a scammer for trying to get on this list?  I dont think so, the problem is the government has set an extremely narrow criteria, with no "self declaration" system.

It seems every time the uk government sets up a new support system for vulnerable people, they redefine the category and reduce the amount of people they support, you know they done this when they used words like "most" vulnerable, as they know not covering all of the vulnerable.

Given they are delivering food parcels, they dont need to be doing food parcels "and" priority delivery slots, so they have effectively provided "too" much help and this has led too "few" people getting help.

They probably should do these deliveries for this nhs list, and then not give "any" priority supermarket slots to this list, and instead tell the supermarkets to let people self register like the people do on the broader list for the WHD.  Thats the way to go about it.  But as usual its not been thought through and I think they just the headlines for doing "something" so picked out what they considered to be the most extreme only.

I dont know of any able bodied people who are under 70 who have tried to get on this, so I think you have labelled disabled people who dont fit the NHS criteria as undeserving people trying to back door, skullcap I remember when you made a similar assumption only a week ago when you "wrongfully" assumed I wasnt doing food deliveries before the virus outbreak as well.  I dont know why you keep making assumptions that people not on the list dont need help.

Brightness