The Book Lounge - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Book Lounge

13»

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @April2018mom, what ind of books do you like to read? 
    Scope

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @April2018mom if you're after fiction, my favourite author is Robert Goddard. I'm not sure what category he would fit in, but his novels are compelling, & also well-written, with so many 'twists in the tale.' His earlier novels I consider the best. If you're after light reading, Santa Montefiore also writes well; again I would say her earlier books are better.

Iain Pears is an author who surprised me; I enjoyed his art world mysteries, but couldn't put down 'Stone's Fall' which was so completely different. As with many authors I find some books great, & others not so good.

If you like 'crime' novels my favourite author is Peter Robinson. I also like Simon Beckett (who writes about forensic anthropology).

Just mentioning the authors whose books I intend reading yet again. There’s also Katherine Neville’s ‘The Eight,’ Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s ‘The Shadow of the Wind,’ C.J. Sansom’s ‘Winter in Madrid’……..to name just a few!

• Chloe_Scope
    I might have to look up Peter Robinson and Simon Beckett. Thanks @chiarieds! :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I finished reading BILLY...thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now 3/4 way through Listening to the Animals...The story of Noel Fitzpatrick aka The Supervet. Another amazing read. I love biographies.
  • Pete2
    Pete2 Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Not reading anything at the moment but when i do its mostly Stephen King ive read his.......The Stand......Carrie........Needless Things.......Insomnia.....Cujo.......Pet Cemetary.....Misery.......It.......The Tommy Knockers......Geralds Game......Salems Lot.....if i were to chose the best it would be a hard choice, but his The Tommy Knockers would be first then It a very close 2nd.   Mostly now i read my astronomy year books.
  • pollyanna1052
    Just finished reading Pamela Stephenson`s book on analyzing her self. Very, very, very good.
    I love reading...helps me forget about chuffing PIP for a while!
    Next!
  • pollyanna1052
    Gonna start a new book today... Marie Curie and her Daughters....love reading
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope you enjoy the new book @pollyanna1052

I started reading 'It's not okay to feel blue and other lies' at the weekend, a very good book so far!
    Scope

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    i have just finished the Skeleton Crew by Sthephen King on audiobook. its a collection of short stories including The Mist. i think i will try his latest novel, The Institute, next.
    i enjoy his style of writing because he goes into great depth with his character's backgrounds and the scary bits are no too scary or gory.

i also like the series of books by Kieth C Blackmore narrated by RC Bray, they are post apocalyptic thrillers about small bands of survivors following a zombie apocalypse. they are funny, gory and well written.

i prefer audiobooks to ctual books because i find it hard on the eyes and difficult to physically hold the books.
     anyone else prefer audiobooks?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @mrbuttons, I too like audiobooks because I am partially sighted. This means my eyes can very easily become strained. The books you have mentioned sound really interesting!

Do you have much on your 'to be read' list?
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Two books I can recommend are "1963" and "boy number 26", by Tommy Rhattigan, both harrowing tales but told without any self pity, the first tells the story of his growing up in early 1960's Manchester intertwined with his brush with Hindley and Brady, the second deals with his time in a children's home and the abuse he suffered, the second book isn't for the feint hearted but the first will have you laughing and crying in equal measure. Both are available on amazon.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    I've just finished reading a book called the prison doctor and I couldn't put it down, it's fantastic. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    My daughter has got me reading a book called "Vox" with her. It's not my usual read but it's been better than I thought it would be. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    My daughter has got me reading a book called "Vox" with her. It's not my usual read but it's been better than I thought it would be. 
    I've heard of that! What was it about?

I'm reading a book called "The Holiday", because we can all dream!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I just finished reading Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart. It is about a single working parent and his daughter with a heart problem. If you love romance novels, then I recommend this book. 
  • figspowart
    figspowart Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel. It's the 3rd in the Thomas Cromwell series. Great to have such an absorbing read to fall into at the moment!
  • benjamo30
    benjamo30 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Would recommenced " The spy and the Traitor"  by Ben Macintyre if people enjoy  crime/ spy thrillers-    its based on true events, and is rather cleverly written: Half of it is done as a normal story  and then half is extracts from interviews with the spy who the book is about.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    I've just finished the book I was reading, just trying to decide about what to read next!

I have been using BorrowBox which means I can loan audio and e-books which has been great during lockdown!
    Scope

Brightness