Should I open a bank account for my disabled daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I open a bank account for my disabled daughter?

reeva
reeva Community member Posts: 2 Listener
should   i open a bank account for my disabled daughter . im her carer have been doing all her financial needs with my own account.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @reeva   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Please can I ask do you need benefits for your daughter  confused by your question.?

Have you been using your own finances.?

If your using your own finances for your daughter look at this link.

https://www.gov.uk/benefits

Please also may I suggest have a lot of information on our website regarding benefits..

Please if you have any questions ask.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reeva - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. Your query might depend upon the age of your daughter, if you don't mind saying this, & your circumstances.
  • reeva
    reeva Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Kellys benefits are paid into  her carers   (mother)  account she on a pension don't get carers allowance.mother is 81 . should Kelly be assessed  in future should it be what has ..Does  Kelly  need her own account.Not all in present account is hers.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,318 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

There's no reason why she can't have her own bank account, especially if anything happens to her mother. I would advise her to wait until the lockdown has been lifted to sort out the new bank account.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @reeva. Did you decide to open your daughter her own bank account? Hope you're both well. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @reeva.
    This is something you need to talk to your bank about. Before my son and daughter were born, we discussed bank accounts as a couple and made a list of questions. When they turned eight weeks old, I went and opened a child account online in their name at the bank I am with. Every month I deposit money into it for them. I have access to that account if the need arises however as they are too little still.
    What do you want to do? Involve your daughter as well in the decision making process too. Look at the website, you will find a lot more useful information on there to help you decide. Alternatively I recommend calling or emailing your bank on Monday for more advice and support. Speak to a employee who might be able to answer all of your questions or have a chat with the bank manager. 

Brightness