Keeping positive under lockdown - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Keeping positive under lockdown

Comments

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    ive taken to playing with the contents of my old make up bag. I've been practising some of the looks I've seen on youtube. the results have been varied, some look amazing but all scared the cat when he looked at me.LOL :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    My sister has been doing this @mrbuttons! She's loved it!

Positive news story! :)

This Neighborhood Has Been Staying Connected During Social Distancing With Creative ‘I Spy’ Game

She asked residents to tape paper shamrocks to their front windows or draw them in chalk on their driveways—anything that would be visible to kids walking by on the sidewalk—for a shamrock scavenger hunt. Neighborhood kids could tally up how many they spied and post to the Facebook group.

The neighborhood response was tremendous, so Nelson drew up a calendar through mid-April with other themed days, including Disney characters, Mario, hearts for health workers, dinosaurs, and a bunny hunt. To make the outings even more fun, Nelson encouraged the walkers to embrace the themes by dressing in costume.

Half the picture is someone drawing, the other half shows a tally chart on the floor in chalk.
    Scope

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    I'm also still working during this time but aim to sort out my small backyard with plants and a patch of grass for the cats to munch on. I ddi the same last year with lots of help from a good friend. So most of the hard work has been done, just need to clean it up now. 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • Chloe_Scope

The positive impacts on the environment since the coronavirus lockdown began

Meanwhile in Chile's capital, Santiago, a wild puma was captured after being found wandering around the city's deserted centre during a night-time curfew. It is thought that the animal may have ventured down into the capital from nearby surrounding hills.

"This is the habitat they once had and that we've taken away from them," said Marcelo Giagnoni, the director of the agricultural and livestock service that took part in an operation to capture the puma alongside police and the national zoo.
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope

Pink supermoon pictured shining brightly across the UK - Metro

The horizon was transformed with a spectacular glow when an enormous ‘Pink Moon’ rose into the sky last night and early this morning.

Skywatchers across the UK looked upwards to capture pictures of the moon which, despite the name, didn’t turn a shade of pink.

Sometimes known as the Egg Moon, this supermoon is a combination of two astronomical phenomena, a full moon which happens while the orb is at its closest to the earth.

The April full moon is known as the pink moon because of the wild flowers that usually bloom at around the same time.
    Did anyone catch a glimpse of the moon last night?
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My two kids have been drawing on paper using pens. I even ordered a skipping rope to use too. Has anyone tried Numerology or not? Fascinating stuff.
    You can use the HouseParty app to have a virtual party as well. 
  • Chloe_Scope

Himalayas are visible 125 miles away in India for 1st time in 30 years after coronavirus lockdown saw pollution plummet – The Sun

The Himalayas are now visible from India as the coronavirus pandemic led to a massive drop in pollution. Residents have said the air has cleared amid the government’s 21-day lockdown to fight the outbreak, allowing them to see the towering peaks 125 miles away from Punjab for the first time in 30 years.

Scope

• Jaanu38
    Jaanu38 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi friends...it's fantastic to see the different ways you have been keeping occupied during the lockdown! I've been rereading my Just William and Harry Potter books, sorting out my music collection, old clothes, doing some colouring therapy,  giving myself home beauty treatments, resting, face timing, watching movies, sorting out photos and videos, and writing letters. It really helps me to have a routine.  Sending everyone positive and happy thoughts.  X
  • Chloe_Scope

Orangutans and otters living together at this Belgium zoo have become best friends – Metro

If you’re in need of some wholesome animal content to distract you from coronavirus headlines, then we have just the thing. 

A family of orangutans have become best friends with a group of otters at a zoo in Belgium. 

The unlikely roommates, who live at the Pairi Daiza zoo in Brugelette, often spend their days playing harmoniously together.  

The group of Asian small-clawed otters reside in the river that runs through the zoo’s orangutan sanctuary – which is home to father Uijan, mother Sari and their 4-year-old son, Berani. 

Scope

• AmberWard
    AmberWard Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited April 2020
    Hello, I am a yoga teacher who has been teaching yoga to people with differences since 2004.

To help keep everybody's bodies and minds healthy and peaceful during these days of isolation, I am offering a 'virtual' Yoga With A Difference class on Tuesdays, 11am-12pm. I will be leading students and their carers through a series of relaxing movements and breathing practices.

This class is suitable for adults and young people with cerebral palsy, PMLD and neurological differences who require 1 to 1 support.

If you, or anyone you know, would like to join this class, please follow the link below

Join Zoom Meeting
    Meeting ID: 204 730 929
    password: relax

[removed by moderator]

I look forward to seeing you on screen soon
  • Chloe_Scope
    How cute is this!?  <3

Stray kittens get to explore fish-filled aquarium while it’s closed by coronavirus - Metro

A group of stray kittens got to explore a fish-filled aquarium closed down by the coronavirus pandemic. 

The four tiny tabbies were given the run of the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta on Monday and appeared very excited to take in their new surroundings. 

An adorable video shared by the Georgia Humane Society showed several of the kittens pawing the glass eagerly while a group of jellyfish swum past. 

Seemingly overwhelmed by its surroundings, another kitten was filmed mewing as it took in the beauty of another tank filled with brightly-coloured tropical fish.

Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Kept going doing my card-making and been doing a couple of online courses - one a pet course and the other about biblical stories which I both found really interesting and have now finished.  Just signed up for another free online course about Robert Burns which should keep me busy.  Would recommend both of these online course resources -

https://www.coursera.org/

https://www.futurelearn.com/

Also now that we are having nice weather it is great to sit out in the garden for a while.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ails do you get a tutor who marks your work with the free courses or is it totally independent learning? I’m currently doing a course which I started before the virus came and I get a tutor but I had to pay. 
  • Ails
    Hi @66Mustang, with the Coursera pet course I did there were assignments I submitted and they got marked by a tutor.  This was a free course, but Coursera do have paid courses too which they can offer financial help for.  The other biblical course that I did was totally independent as it was just watching videos then answering a couple of questions.  Not sure what the Robert Burns one will be like yet as not started it so far.  

What's your course about?  I hope you are enjoying it.  Shame you have to pay for it.  Would there not be any financial help with it?  :smile:
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow they sound great @Ails, I will have to take a look :) in my opinion learning is a really worthwhile thing to do and a great thing to spend time on at any time but especially at the moment. 

My course is economics (A level). No financial help available sadly, I did check, but the way I see it is that my unemployment benefits and disability benefits are for things like this as then hopefully by the time I get better I will have the skills to get a job and pay it back in tax :D
  • Ails
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your course, @66Mustang.  It does sound really interesting and a worthwhile one to help you get work in the future.  Good luck with it!  Yes, benefits are helpful in paying for things like that and it is worth spending these on a course that will help you in the future.

Yes, I really enjoyed the courses, especially the one about pets as I love animals and wanted to understand more about my wee cat and how she thinks and acts.  The courses keep the brain ticking over which is really important, but as you say, even more so at this time.  Happy studying!  :smiley:
  • PineappleFresh
    PineappleFresh Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    We've been supporting people to get their garden furniture jazzed up while in lockdown! It's getting competitive between the people who live across our supported living units... we can't lie! Hahaha!
  • Ails
    A great idea, @PineappleFresh!  Lovely, jazzy chairs!  :smiley:
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    that is a great idea @PineappleFresh, looks good

Brightness