Share your favourite books - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Share your favourite books

Comments

• laura222
    laura222 Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
    @JenCo your recommendations are so compelling I just had to start on them. First is Equal Rites and I’m loving it so far. 

Thanks!
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Good choice @gaz1960
    Seems to be a popular choice, from quite a few people on here! 

It was turned in to a great film! 

Would really like to make sure the 2,000 plus books i have,go to help the charity,and help provide support for anyone on the front line of the Coronavirus! 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That truly is very kind of you @gaz1960
    Scope

• gaz1960
    Being nice and being kind doesn't get you anywhere, but its just the way i am! Old fashioned! Help others! 

• Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    gaz1960
    Agree about being nice and kind not getting you anywhere. But doesn't it make you feel good.
    You can't help being who you are carry on and it's a pleasure to know you.
    Keep yourself safe. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    gaz1960 said:
    2 thousand,plus books! 

Thinking of putting up a folding table at the bottom of the drive,HELP.YOURSELF SIGN! 
    A few people around here have started doing this and it's proving very popular. People are picking up a book on their daily walk and sometimes switching them out for their own books a bit like a contact-free book swap.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gaz1960
    Put up a folding table at the bottom of the garden/driveway!

Loaded up with a mixture of different genres of books and authors! 
    A big sign saying ,"help yourself,FREE "!

Not a single book taken! :/

Obviously, the village population are either defunct in able to read anything unless it has picture's, or suspicious about anything being given away as FREE!  :/ 

At least they didn't steal the table! OMG! 

Take the table and leave the books! OMG! 

Anybody else having the same reaction?

Sad times! :/

• gaz1960
    Anyone want these books? 

• Chloe_Scope
    It's really kind of you that you are doing this! I hope someone is interested in a book soon. :)
    Scope

• JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    laura222 said:
    @JenCo your recommendations are so compelling I just had to start on them. First is Equal Rites and I’m loving it so far. 

Thanks!
    Hurrah! I hope you're still loving it. It's one of my favourites.
  • gaz1960
    It's really kind of you that you are doing this! I hope someone is interested in a book soon. :)
    No joy so far! 

Tomorrow,and Saturday are supposed to be a hot and sunny,sooooooooo,going to set up the folding table at the bottom of the garden/driveway with a large selection of the books,with a very big "help yourself " sign! 

Apart from having an hour or two at the allotment today,and each day,today planted onion sets,seed potatoes, and carrot and spring onion seeds,and garlic,(and social distance is not a problem,there are only 4 plot holders,its private land,and very rare more than one of us is there at the same time),I've been sitting in the living room again today, looking out the window while making masks out of T shirts,for my once a week trip to our village shop,better to support  them than one of the main superstores! Use it or lose it! Especially now! 

Not seen many people walking past the house, occasional jogger or dog walker, its a quite rural village. 
    But I'll put the table out,and books out and see what happens!  

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Have you had any uptake yet @gaz1960? If you're getting little footfall past your house that may explain it. Such a nice thing to do though. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gaz1960
    No Adrian, only a couple of books gone from the table on Saturday and a couple more on Sunday. 
    At least i gave it a go. 
    Hopefully when restricted travel is eased,i can start taking them to the Scope shop. 
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    @gaz1960 what  a wonderful idea, here in Leeds we have a 'free little libarry' scheme where you take a book and leave a book....sounds like you're starting a similar venture where you live - Good for you!
    Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues
  • gaz1960
    Well,as stated,live on the outskirts of the village,so not many passing bye,unless anyone going to the local pub,500 yards from me,which is if course closed,or to the local store,a mile abd a half away!

Slightly of topic,but, the food at the local is superb! A pity they are closed because of the Coronavirus! If anyone looking for a great meal,after the restrictions are lifted,especially a Sunday lunch, with local sourced meat and veg from local farm's, the Anchor at Hurley Common! OMG. 

Back on topic! Lol 

Been re-reading the "Sharpe" series books by Bernard Cornwell. 

Great books,and a great TV series with Sean Bean! 

• Lissytaliaa
    Lissytaliaa Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I read a book recently called ‘The Unhoneymooners’ in about 4 days. You can download it on your IPad for 99p. It is brilliant, and kept me laughing every time I read it - I struggled to put the book down! Very sweet romantic comedy, and well worth the read  :)
  • gaz1960
    Today,on my way back from doing some shopping, someone in the next village had put out a large tray of  books  for "free",at the bottom of the driveway outside their house. Hope they have more luck than when i put mine out! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad others are also doing such a kind thing @gaz1960. I'm sure your efforts are greatly appreciated and your generosity will be noticed. :) 
    Scope

• JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Has anyone read The Wife Between Us yet? Just finished.... not massively impressed despite rave reviews. 
    Starting Lord of The Rings again to make up for it :)
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    JenCo said:
    Has anyone read The Wife Between Us yet? Just finished.... not massively impressed despite rave reviews. 
    Starting Lord of The Rings again to make up for it :)
    @JenCo i have not read it, but have also seen the revews, will be watching this to see what others think!!
    I've just read Unnatural causes by Dr Richard Shepherd, not what i would usually read but I couldn't put it down, he's pathologist that has been involved in lots of famous cases, really fascinating and easy to read, sad and funny in places, he writes really well.

Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues

Brightness