Coronavirus Benefit allowance increase — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coronavirus Benefit allowance increase

Kuala
Kuala Community member Posts: 6 Listener
The Government announced a £20 weekly increase to Universal Credit only, I feel this discriminates against others eg, Carer's on Income Support who face the same if not greater financial difficulties during these strange times. Yesterday Matt Hancock in the daily briefing told a parent of a Special Needs child that "Extra Support" had been provided for the disabled (children). I have asked my Local MP what exactly this entails.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Kuala. I hope your MP is able to provide more information. How are you doing? I appreciate that it is a strange and difficult times at the moment.
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats an odd one, I'm only aware of the £20 a week uplift to UC for 12 months, payments of which should start coming through around May 12th, and some increases in HB.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Kuala
    edited April 2020

Thank you Chloe for your kind Welcome, we're trying our best to stay positive and I hope everyone here is doing the same. I have not received any details from my local Conservative MP however I did come across the following posted online MIRROR 27 April

DWP accused of 'discriminating' against disabled people in coronavirus pandemic

• 100 organisations want a £20-a-week Universal Credit rise to be extended to all claimants - including up to 2million sick and disabled people on ESA
    • the Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC), a network of more than 100 organisations, called the situation "discriminatory".
    • Co-chair Ella Abraham, of the welfare charity Z2K, said: "The Government are discriminating against millions of disabled people on other benefits by choosing to only ‘focus on new claimants’ on Universal Credit.
    • DWP Permanent Secretary Peter Schofield said last month that the rate of legacy benefits could not be changed quickly due to older computer systems.
    I will just have to wait to see what extra support Matt Hancock was referring to.

• woodbine
    I'm on legacy benefits, I didn't expect to get extra and I'm not surprised we didn't get any, and tbh I don't feel discriminated against. In all fairness there are a lot of people claiming UC for the first time and I suspect the £20 is to make them feel like "ok its not so bad"

• Kuala
    A 'two tier benefit' system discriminates and in this case it does so against some of the most vulnerable. It is absolutely right for the Chancellor to help those on UC new and old but why blatantly ignore others?
    Ps still waiting for my MP to reply
  • woodbine
    Its a fact that some people would be better off moving from LB to UC (even if you exclude the £20) but yes you would lose the transitional relief, 2020 was supposed to be (finally) the year when managed migration from LB to UC began in earnest, I don't expect this to be the case now.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.