Video Games — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
edited September 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hi there
I'm a 67 year old guy who loves playing video games. To some, maybe many, that might seem strange for someone of my age to do so, thinking it's more for the younger generation. But I love playing and have done so for years. I keep up with all the latest released games and play for hours at a time. 
My wife doesn't mind and I have a designated place upstairs to play.
I was wondering if anyone else have any similar pastimes and would like to discuss thoughts on them
Thanks
Alan (Dragonslayer)

Tagged:

Comments

• irishman
    irishman Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    edited May 2020
    Hi alan aka the dragonslayer :smile:

I am a 29 year old man and i am in love with rocketleague or fifa 20 :smile:

My fiance turned my games room into a make up room so now i have the whole of the livingroom to game and i love it! :smiley:

Decky (irishman)
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Me and my partner are both gamers, PS4 MMO RPG's and others too. Its one type of escapism I guess.. For my partner it is a lifeline with his social anxiety and depression, for me mostly just fun.
    The pandemic has changed so many people's lives, for us it's practically normal life, just to way to cope with our disabilities. 

I hope you enjoy your games ?
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi fellow gamers
    It's good to hear from others out there enjoying gaming as much as I do. I take it Irishman is an avid sports fan? Playing sports games is a great way to keep involved while we are in lockdown. You have a very understanding wife and I envy your set up. I was wondering if you play other games as well and what console you have?
    I have a PS4 like Crumbled72 and love RPG's. The Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider series are my favourite. I have played them all more than once and will continue to do so. I agree will what you say about how it helps with all sorts of problems in life. I have Spinal Stenosis and playing is fun as you say, but it does help me with my condition.

Pleas stay in touch
    Alan (Dragonslayer)

• irishman
    irishman Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi fellow gamers
    It's good to hear from others out there enjoying gaming as much as I do. I take it Irishman is an avid sports fan? Playing sports games is a great way to keep involved while we are in lockdown. You have a very understanding wife and I envy your set up. I was wondering if you play other games as well and what console you have?
    I have a PS4 like Crumbled72 and love RPG's. The Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider series are my favourite. I have played them all more than once and will continue to do so. I agree will what you say about how it helps with all sorts of problems in life. I have Spinal Stenosis and playing is fun as you say, but it does help me with my condition.

Pleas stay in touch
    Alan (Dragonslayer)

yeah i like sports and a liverpool fan :) 
    i have a PS4 too, id play the odd game of call of duty war zone but that's about that, i use to play battlefield alot. People hate lockdown but us gamers are loving it, getting paid to play basically, i know its hard not seeing the family etc but i am dreading going back to work. Maybe we could all add each other and play a game sometime? my PSN is xDeckyyy-_- ^^
    i have really back sciatica im on morphine patches and **** load of tablets need a back operation on my L4/L5 and L5/S1.
    I just want to be able to walk without pain again, someday this will happen but in the main time i will enjoy my gaming :D 

Decky (irishman) ^^
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi Decky
    We seem to have a few things in common. I am also on morphine patches and a good deal of other drugs as well. My back operation got cancelled because of this virus and so I have a lot of back pain while walking, or should I say, trying to walk! My PSN is Aland1953. I have tried to play battlefield once, but prefer to play the games I mentioned. I know what you mean about work. Thankfully I am now retired so I can put my gaming first and enjoy every moment while doing so. I really do hope that one day you will walk again without pain, as I hope the same for myself. Let's think about playing together, until then, keep gaming, stay safe and look after yourself.
    Great to connect with you.
    Stay in touch
    Alan
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Dragonslayer (and everyone else).
    When time permits I'm a bit of a gamer too. But it's Xbox or PC for me I'm afraid. I've played a load of different MMOs over the years and still enjoy the occasional game of Assassin's Creed. (I've been eyeing up Odyssey for a while!)

@irishman: I'm sorry your gaming haven got turned into a makeup room! If it makes you feel any better, thanks to the presence of kids, I'm limited to the bedroom and only to games that either don't make the missus motion sick (so, no Rocket League anymore!) or are so dark they don't light up the entire room when she's trying to sleep. Football Manager on dark mode is the safest bet at the moment. :D 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi everyone
    I have noticed that some company's have put their new games due for release around summertime this year on hold? I understand this virus doesn't help. But I am thinking it could be due to the new PS5 and Xbox coming out at the end of the year and therefore wanting to release them in this format. I know the PS5 will be able to play PS4 games. But the PS4 won't be able to play the games made for PS5? I intend to buy the new PS5. But what about those that don't want to, or can't afford to? Where does it leave them?
    Alan (Dragonslayer)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I play some MMOs - World of Warcraft and RuneScape.

I also liked Call of Duty (especially the zombies) however I sold my XBOX.

I want to get a new games console but I'm worried that you need to play online these days. I prefer to put the disc in and play offline, for many reasons, but especially because the standard of my internet connection means gaming would not be fun online.
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    66Mustang said:
    I play some MMOs - World of Warcraft and RuneScape.

I also liked Call of Duty (especially the zombies) however I sold my XBOX.

I want to get a new games console but I'm worried that you need to play online these days. I prefer to put the disc in and play offline, for many reasons, but especially because the standard of my internet connection means gaming would not be fun online.
    Omg.. There's still people playing Wow? OK joke.. I played 8yrs since the release but cannot be arsed anymore on that.
    I noticed that this pandemic has made me not to want to play almost at all for some reason.. Idk why though.. 
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I've played a load of different MMOs over the years and still enjoy the occasional game of Assassin's Creed. (I've been eyeing up Odyssey for a while!)
    Odyssey is definitely worth getting tbh!  Combines lots of previous AC tech together.  

I think I've had most AC games since about 2007.  Was gutted they didn't bring out a new one at the end of last year...could really have done with it during lockdown too lol!  They have announced the new one will come out later this year with a Viking theme...
  • Adrian_Scope
    I've played a load of different MMOs over the years and still enjoy the occasional game of Assassin's Creed. (I've been eyeing up Odyssey for a while!)
    Odyssey is definitely worth getting tbh!  Combines lots of previous AC tech together.  

I think I've had most AC games since about 2007.  Was gutted they didn't bring out a new one at the end of last year...could really have done with it during lockdown too lol!  They have announced the new one will come out later this year with a Viking theme...
    The AC I enjoyed the most was Black Flag, so as long as there's sailing, I'll be there!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious

The AC I enjoyed the most was Black Flag, so as long as there's sailing, I'll be there!
    You're in luck then, plenty of sailing between the Greek islands! :D
  • Dragonslayer
    I'm glad to hear there are a few others out there that like the AC games. I have played all of them more than once and still keep many of them on disc. Black Flag is one of the very best and for me remains arguably the best?
    TR is a!so top of the list. I am once again playing Rise of the tomb raider. I prefer playing on disc rather than online and also prefer to play single player third person. 
    I do urge you to look on the PS shop, I found Rise of TR on there for 7£.99p. On disc to buy new from a game supplier it was 37£. 
    I was also wondering how often do you all play? How many hours? I can play all day! And these days every day. Whereas I hear it should be no more than 2hrs? But don't you find it helps with concentration and hand to eye coordination? If also keeps my mind off these terrible time we find ourselves in.
    Dragonslayer.

• OverlyAnxious
    I'm Xbox rather than PS4 myself. :)

Play pretty much everyday, probably an hour or two per day on average.  I can't play for too long myself as it causes problems with vision, headaches and hand aches so try to restrict it to an hour at a time.  I used to take a walk to break it up but during lockdown even watching TV seems to help so I guess I must be concentrating too hard on the games ha!
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi There
    Has anyone with a PS4 had any experience with using a usb stick to store games on?  I'm thinking, that if the new PS5 will be able to play PS4 games, is this, or could it be a way to keep old games to play again instead of keeping disc's. I'm thinking of the downloaded games I have on my PS4 now.
    Dragonslayer

• Emily54636072
    Emily54636072 Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Don’t know has anyone got animal crossing new horizons on switch 
  • 66Mustang
    edited June 2020
    Omg.. There's still people playing Wow? OK joke.. I played 8yrs since the release but cannot be arsed anymore on that.
    I noticed that this pandemic has made me not to want to play almost at all for some reason.. Idk why though.. 
    Sorry only just seen this post, but, they have brought back the classic version of the game if you miss that one!

Dragonslayer said:
    I was also wondering how often do you all play? How many hours? I can play all day! And these days every day. Whereas I hear it should be no more than 2hrs? But don't you find it helps with concentration and hand to eye coordination? If also keeps my mind off these terrible time we find ourselves in.
    Dragonslayer.

I get bored quite easily but I play maybe 30 mins at a time, a few times a day.

I can't comment for other areas of the body but as for your eyes, my optician said you can use screens all day long if you want, just be sure to look away from the screen and into the distance every 15 mins to refocus your eyes.
  • Dragonslayer
    I haven't played a game for a few days, which is strange for me. But I am looking forward to the last of us 2 coming out on Friday. 
    I am also looking forward to the PS5 coming out at the end of the year, especially as it will play PS4 games as well, which will mean I can keep my games library.
    I don't think playing affects my vision but I understand how it might for some. For those people who are affected looking away from time to time seems to be a good idea.
    Dragonslayer
  • 66Mustang
    I believe the advice is more to preserve your eyesight in the future. Something to do with eyes having muscles which need to be stretched just like any other muscle. I'm not an expert though!
  • Adrian_Scope
    You'll have to give us your review of The Last of Us 2 @Dragonslayer. I don't own a PS4, but I've always been tempted by The Last of Us.

Was there anything announced for the PS5 that has got anybody excited?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness