Healthy snacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Healthy snacks

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
Can anyone share their healthy snack suggestions?

I like the following but I don't know if they are healthy or not?

Olives
Sun dried tomatoes
Roasted bell peppers
Charcuterie sausages
Beef jerky

I will tag @thespiceman as I'm sure he will know the answer I hope that is OK :p

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    The first three are healthy. My family and I have eaten a lot of healthy snacks over the past two weeks. What follows is a list in no specific order of healthy meals which we have tried lately:

Grapes used in a healthy salad 
    Strawberries with low fat cream on a plate or as part of a salad
    Cherries chopped up for a salad
    Kiwi fruit half dipped in sugar 
    Banana used to make a old fashioned banana pudding or eaten alone 
    Melon split in half and munched on its own or in a salad bowl
    Low fat yoghurt and nuts or mixed berries 
    Oranges peeled then eaten alone
    Lemon or lime with hummus dip and mackerel
    Radishes with tuna 
    Cucumber sandwiches
    Pumpkin used in soup etc
    Lettuce which I serve with ham or chicken  
    Mango with ham or beef 
    Baked apples and some pork or rice
    Stewed pear with chicken or eggs
    Celery with salmon in a toasted sandwich
    Carrots with homemade no fat cheese or low fat milk 

I hope this is helpful! Alternatively what about a cheese and fruit platter? 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fruit isn't generally a good snack as it's full of sugar (and/ or acid) which will ruin your teeth over time.  Much better to eat it as part of a meal instead.

Olives, sundried tomatoes, sausages and beef jerky are all rammed with salt, so portion size is key there, and noting how much salt you have in other meals that day.  Sausages & beef jerky are also pretty fatty but I'm sure you know that lol.

Really the most healthy snack is raw veg like carrot sticks, celery, cucumber etc.  You can have them with a dip but make sure it's a healthy one... 

Low fat soft cheese or Greek yogurt are also healthy, and can be eaten with savoury biscuits for example.

Just remember, if it tastes nice, it'll either be sugary or fatty so not healthy! :p
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Fruit/ low fat yoghurt/ half a bag of crisp(49 calories)/ couple of plain biscuits ?
    Hows the diet going @66Mustang
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Oh my, can’t diet whilst on lock down, will worry about that later after all the baking I am doing to keep busy it has to be eaten doesn’t it? ??
  • lulu1949
    lulu1949 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Stopping  smoking 14 months ago after 54 years was my best achievement, think it will be easier now the salad stuff is ready, looking forward to Jersey royals though ?
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for all of the ideas. Some great suggestions :)

@woodbine, the diet is going well, thanks! I've lost over a stone since I started. I seem to be averaging about 2-3 pounds lost per week.

Just remember, if it tastes nice, it'll either be sugary or fatty so not healthy! :p 
    Haha true :D
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    well done you keep it up
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks for all of the ideas. Some great suggestions :)

@woodbine, the diet is going well, thanks! I've lost over a stone since I started. I seem to be averaging about 2-3 pounds lost per week.
    Nice one. It definitely takes extra willpower to eat healthy with how things are at the moment. Well done.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Some tasty treats here.  I don't always eat healthy, but I love crackers and cream cheese, although maybe the cheese is a bit fattening, lol!  I also enjoy nibbling on raisins and dipping some carrots or celery in hummus.  Well done on doing well with your diet, @66Mustang:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you @Ails :) I also really like cheese and crackers. I used to eat it every day and it turned into an extra meal - not good I know - now I just have it as a treat once a week or so:)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I should probably cut down my intake of it too as I do eat it every other day!  I love cheese!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • fatherinpain
    fatherinpain Community member Posts: 177 Courageous
    @66Mustang if you got a sweet tooth try warrior crunch bars or phd bars high protein low sugar, not so naughty but extremely nice, fav from each brand phd=white choc blondie warrior=salted caramel.
  • 66Mustang
    @66Mustang if you got a sweet tooth try warrior crunch bars or phd bars high protein low sugar, not so naughty but extremely nice, fav from each brand phd=white choc blondie warrior=salted caramel.
    Thanks! I haven't heard of those, I'll have a look.
  • fatherinpain
    They can be expensive but you can easily pick a box of 12 for cheap on eBay or direct from companies who often have offers on, ive not eaten normal sugar loaded chocolate since I tried these, and personally I think they are awesome 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I like hummus with carrot and red pepper sticks!
    Scope

• fatherinpain
    @66Mustang did you manage to try those bars
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @fatherinpain I looked them up but they were quite expensive to buy online. I might get some when I have a bit more money! I tried to find some single ones in a shop to try them out. Although I did not find the ones you mentioned I got some protein cookies from B&M which were 79p each and really nice. Also tried a "grenade" bar which was quite nice.
  • fatherinpain
    I often but boxes of12 at a time phd direct from there web site or warrior from amazon/eBay I usually bide my time waiting for the £12.50ish offers which Is usually every 3 weeks 

Brightness