Campaigning to Get young disabled people into employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Campaigning to Get young disabled people into employment

zoeshw
zoeshw Scope Member Posts: 14 Courageous
Hi 
I am currently campaigning to get young disabled people into employment. I feel that the government are not doing enough to get disabled people into employment. 

Comments

• Danire
    Danire Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi @zoeshw the governments definitely don't do enough to support young disabled people trying to access employment. They definitely don't here in Ireland anyway. I'm glad someone else feels the same as me

• zoeshw
    Hi Danire I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences in getting into employment. You are more than welcome to join me in my campaign. 
  • Danire
    Hi, yes it would be great to connect 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree, I went straight from college onto Support Group ESA which don't get me wrong I am very grateful for but would have liked some more support at getting into work.

I went to a disability resource centre designed to get disabled people into work and they just seemed to teach really basic stuff - IT skills, managing money, writing a CV etc. Not to be immodest but honestly I could have taught them a thing or two! What they really needed to teach was how to overcome disability and get into work.

I think people don't realise we know how a "normal" person gets into work - write a decent CV, go to an interview etc, we don't need support with that. We need support at overcoming disability to get into the workplace.
  • zoeshw
    Hi Danire I would e very happy to have you on board.
  • zoeshw
    Hi 66 Mustang 
    I have did the same thing as you and defiantly agree that people do not understand that we do know how to get into employment.
    I have decided to campaign because I feel that we are not being heard by the government. 
  • Danire
    @zoeshw that would be great 
  • zoeshw
    I currently updating protocols for organizations to follow to get young people into employment and writing a lit of petition ideas to send of to the government. It would be great to have your ideas of these  
  • Danire
    Great can I have your email 
  • zoeshw
    edited May 2020
    My email address is [removed by moderator]
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Hello @zoeshw

Do you have a blog? it would be a great addition to highlight your work and show any updates.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zoeshw and a very warm welcome to the community. Just to let you know that I have removed your email as you are not allowed to share personal information. 

It sounds like you are doing some great work and we would love to hear more about. Scope too are working towards more disabled people in employment and have a wide range of services and advice which can help. :)
    Scope

• Danire
    @Chloe_Scope sorry that's my fault I wasn't aware personal information isn't allowed
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not a problem @Danire. :)
    Scope

• zoeshw
    Hi Chloe I am campaigning in getting young disabled people into employment. I feel that The focus should be on the employers themselves and not on the disabled person. The disabled person is not the problem  it is the people that are interviewing them 
  • Danire
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi @zoeshw I would love to help your campaign.  I am 58 and I hope this wouldn't bored anybody but I need to tell you about myself too make sense of what you may find helpful.  I went to a couple of boarding schools until I was 18.  At that time disabled won't considered much use  and the teaching was terrible.  I had been at the local primary for 3 years and my Mum was told that I was going to be placed in the top group so that there would be a good chance for me to have gone to the Grammer.  But, that wasn't what my family wanted so I went to the other school instead and then the next.  I do have 4 O levels though.  When the careers man come to the School Mum had to be with me and together with my personal tutor they decided that I could work it an office and I did for 30 years,  However, apart from 1 all my peers were sent to Day Centres and looking back a lot of them could have worked very well, better than me but they didn't have the same tutor who had pushed me to my limits and there isn't anything like going home after a days work.  Well, I was offered a good job on the condition that a Trust would pay 35% of the wages as I took longer to do things.  It was to be for my working life and a condition was to sign up for a private pension, meaning I paid into a scheme and will never get a state pension saving the government money.  This Trust was the 'Shaw Trust' setup in 1982 by some well off managers of industry under Mrs Thatcher and was very good until 2010  when the trust said it would only pay to support somebody up to after which 9 months and then get rid of them and employ somebody else.  The local district council will employ disabled people for 6 months only and then replace them.  This way, by employing 2 disabled people within 12 months the Government are paying more money for employing them even though the people are trained and then dropped.
    I do hope that you haven't dropped off to sleep.  I just wanted you to see and understand that things were getting for the disabled but now it's going backwards.  I'm a trustee for a disabled charity and go to different meetings including one where the County Council attend and I really am sorry if somebody out there with mental health issues as I'm not against you in anyway honestly, but they go on about mental health  but nothing about disabled, both topics should share that time, but they don't.  What do you think about this.   Could we all come together and get things going?  Denise11

Brightness