Inclusive Play Ideas — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inclusive Play Ideas

goldfinch
goldfinch Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone!  Hope you are all safe and well.

I work at a school for children with special needs and am looking for ideas on playtime, playground activities that are accessible to all.  We have children with various mobility challenges including wheelchair users and children who use walking aids. I would like to offer staff some alternative ideas of games and activities that are suitable for all of our children to play together in small groups or as a whole.
I have quite a few parachute games and  songs already and we have Boccia and bowling with ramps etc for indoor play.

Any ideas will be gratefully received!

Comments

• Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering

Hi @goldfinch -  welcome to the community. 

I hope our members will be able to give you some ideas.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a list of ideas:

Skipping
    Tennis 
    Water fountain 
    Swings
    Seesaw
    Sandpit
    Roundabout

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @goldfinch, how are things going?
    Scope

• goldfinch
    Good thank you @Chloe_Scope
    Missing my students but enjoying the extra time with my own children!
  • KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello @goldfinch.

It's lovely that you are looking for new ideas for inclusive play. Have you ever looked at Loose Parts play? Creating a set of different loose parts objects - tubes, boxes, material, anything that you think the children would find interesting, and then letting the children get creative with them. It can be really helpful if you have a local Scrap Store, as they usually have loads of ideas and exciting scrap materials. Or perhaps get some materials that you could use to make an outdoor den area with the children.

There are a few games that can be adapted such as dodge ball. I used play something called hot potato, if you get given the ball you have to get rid of it as soon as you can by throwing, passing, kicking. 

I hope you find some new ideas. 
  • goldfinch
    Thank you @KarenO_Scope that's a lovely idea.
    We're lucky enough to have an adapted adventure playground, that the classes take turns with, so it's ideas for the main playground that I am looking for.  We already have a bikes and trikes area and play lots of different ball games and playground games so having a Loose Parts area would be a wonderful idea!

Thanks again

Brightness