Struggling with mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with mental health

Dylan246
Dylan246 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
edited May 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi. I have been struggling with anxiety and low moods often but I have been slowly dealing with it during lockdown. Recently I have struggled with dealing with it because of the uncertainty of when lockdown will be over so I felt like my routine felt monotonous which I think is mostly due to my hormones which can make me feel low. Yet I feel like I am not allowed to be sad or down, and if that happens people feel I need to get a grip on it and smile more. I am not allowed to have a moment where I don't feel okay.
How do people deal with feeling low due to hormones or the lockdown? I would like to know how to independently deal with it especially as other people will not want to take responsibility for how they behave towards me. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi @Dylan246 I am Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here on the site.
    I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I think alot of people are struggling with the lockdown especially individuals who suffer with anxiety and other mental illnesses. It's great that you have come on to the site and reached out for support, it's important that you know you are not alone. It's okay not to be okay.
    It's difficult when you have others around that act in a negative way towards you. I myself have experienced this too. 
    I try to think that it's the other person that has an issue, not you. Do you have have things that you enjoy doing close to you, that you can do at home that will keep your mind busy?
    Stay safe and hope to talk to you soon.
    Tammy 
  • Dylan246
    Thank you for your reply @Tammyjane33. It's nice to hear from someone. 
    I am just feeling uncomfortable with the silent treatement that can only be brokene on their terms, it just makes me feel alone. I am distracting myself but it is just hard when people seem happy to talk to each other but barely talk to be or are civil but not warm when they have to talk to me. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dylan246 - I'm sorry to read that you're struggling at the moment. Sometimes I feel one day blends into the next, so I try to give myself one small thing to achieve each day, which helps me.
    Scope has put some information to help us all with our mental health just now: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/mental-health-and-coronavirus/
    Some of the above may help, & you're always most welcome to chat here as there's usually someone about. :)

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dylan246, I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling with your mental health during lock-down.  These are really challenging times at the moment and a lot of people are finding being stuck at home very hard.  Hopefully things will ease up somewhat soon and we can return to some kind of normality, but I completely understand how not knowing when and how things are going to pan out can be quite upsetting.  Certainly it isn't ok for people around you to judge you and expect you to be always happy when you don't feel like it.  You are allowed to feel the way you want to feel without any question and people shouldn't make you feel bad about that.  As @Tammyjane33 says, "it is ok not to be ok".  If people can't appreciate how you are feeling then that is their problem as everyone has "down days" at times and they will be no exception.  

I hope the link that @chiareds has provided above is of some help to you.  I also find keeping busy and doing some hobbies from home like arts & crafts, gardening, reading or just listening to some good music can make me feel better and lift my spirits a bit.  It is whatever you find soothing yourself.  Also coming on here for a bit and chatting to people really does help too so as @chiarieds says, please chat to us anytime.  We are all here to support you.  I hope you feel a bit better about things soon and please stay safe and well.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Dylan246
    Thank you so much for your comment. I have that exact feeling as you about feeling stuck in Groundhog Day so I try to do somebody's things that are either things to achieve or things to get me out of my room despite not being allowed to leave the house.
    I'll take a web link that you sent me and will definitely come back here if I need to. I think it is one of the  healthier forums online at the moment.
  • Dylan246
    Hi @Ails,
    Thank you son much for your comments,
    I think I am struggling because I am stuck at home because it's not my fault and there is so much uncertainty. Part of me wants the lockdown to end but I do not want to be the reason for another one by spreading the virus. I am the only one in my family not allowed out on my own as I'm not allowed to shop and none of my centres are open.
    It is hurtful because I feel like I am being controlled. People put me on edge but if I react then I am the bad guy. I'm not the one drinking and I'm not binge eating and I'm helping more around the house yet I am awful for not smiling.
    I'll take a look at the Scope link and I'm trying to distract myself which has been working until now. I'll try and find other means and talk to this forum when I feel lonely and need advice.
    Keep safe and best wishes. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Dylan246. I don't think there's much more I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread. Everybody has coping mechanisms and everybody is finding their own way to keep their heads above water at the moment.

Being under pressure to never let the mask slip can feel really oppressive and it's important you find some way of release. Can you think of any hobbies or expressive outlets that might help you channel these feelings elsewhere at the moment?

Can I ask if you're living with family at the moment?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dylan246
    I have had a look at the coping mechanisms recommended by everyone and I am going to see if they work for me. 
    I am slowly trying to find other ways of releasing apart from self-harming but it is not always easy. I have plans that I will make this week. 
    I am living with the family at the moment but it is not always easy. 

Brightness