ESA ending — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA ending

Garry123
Garry123 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone my esa end on the 29th of May I attended a disability assessment on the 10 of September and was told I'd be informed of the outcome within 3wks I did not hear from them so asked at the job centre they got in touch and then told me I was to carry on putting my sick notes in until my esa expired which it's about to do. What I need to know is there anything I should be doing because I've done everything requested of me having worked for 42yrs I find having to claim daunting any advice would be great fully received 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Garry123 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. You could try a benefit checker to see if you are eligible for other benefits, if that's what you're wondering about. Please see: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    Universal Credit may be an option: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit 
    Also Personal Independence Payment (PIP): https://www.gov.uk/pip
    If your wondering about something else, please say. :)

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Garry123. That's a very long time to not have an outcome from your assessment. Have you requested a copy of the assessor's report? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garry123
    Hi my esa ends on 29th May I attended a disability assessment on the 10th of September was told I'd have a answer with in 2wks to date I've not heard back from them so I mentioned it to case worker at jobcentre he spoke to assessment colleagues who said I was to carry on putting sicknotes in till 29th I'm worrying that I should be doing something and the lack of communication from DWP is also worrying. If the doctor saying I'm unfit to work what benefits should I be claiming any advice pls
  • Garry123
    No not requested a copy of report but unless I hear something in the next few days I will be thanks for the advice
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Garry123, with your ESA set to end so soon and no decision made, I think it's definitely a good idea to get in touch with them and ask what the delay is and for a copy of the assessment report. It'll let you know what was recommended to the decision maker.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garry123
    I have done that today waiting on a response 
  • Adrian_Scope
    I hope you hear from them soon @Garry123. Best of luck. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garry123
    Within hours and I mean hours of requesting the disability assessment report I received a message in PDF apologising and tell the had put me disability benefit. It's a weight off my mind. It's not been a nice experience and after doing the benefits checker and seeing the results compared to what I have been receiving it's shocking but I learnt that benefits people will do anything they can to make it hard thank you for the advice about asking for a copy of disability report 
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm glad you've gotten this sorted and now have an answer @Garry123. When you say you received a PDF message do you mean on your UC journal? They don't usually send ESA result by PDF so just wanted to check.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garry123
  • Garry123
    My disability assessors assessment arrived and it said I reached the criteria and this assessment was completed on the 10/9/2019 so why it took till May 2020 I've no idea shocking 
  • Adrian_Scope
    The 10/9/2019 was the date you had your assessment and the assessor wrote the report. This would have then been sent to a decision maker which does take a bit of time, but shouldn't have taken as long as you've been waiting! It's ridiculous you've had to wait so long @Garry123. I'm glad it's sorted now and you don't need to worry about it for a while. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Garry123
    Hi not till 10/09/2020 but I'm sure there will be a back log of assessments due to the covid 19. 
  • Garry123
    Hi now they finally agreed with my doctor that I'm not fit to work they put me in what they call a support group and I know longer have to request sick notes but because of the not very helpful experience I've had I could do with advice on any other benefits I maybe eligible for I've read about Pips but have no idea how to apply any advise would be great. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Garry123
    PIP isn't based on your condition or disability but your ability to undertake different descriptors.
    There's some information and a link to these here: www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/#PIP-components

To claim PIP, you need to call them on: 0800 917 2222 (Textphone 0800 917 7777 or NGT text relay 18001 0800 917 2222)

You will need basic details including your National Insurance number, bank account details and details of your GP or other health professional. You will receive a form. This asks questions about your care and mobility needs. If you cannot return the form within the 1-month deadline, you can ask for 2 more weeks to complete this.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.