I need to know I’m not crazy or alone with with anxiety symptoms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need to know I’m not crazy or alone with with anxiety symptoms

Michyh
Michyh Community member Posts: 48 Connected
Good day all, I have been put on 50g Sertraline for anxiety attacks. But I need to know that what I feel there is someone else also having. 
Mines seems to happy at night and for no reason. My life is not stressful and I have nothing to be anxious about so I don’t understand.
heres what happens and how I feel when anxiety attacks happen. 
I feel my heart race , I get very very hot, and as I try and go to sleep I get the feel like I’m going to have a fit or Seizure, like my brain is shaking from the inside, and I feel like I hold onto a electric wire, I feel as if I’m shaking on the inside. 
The next day when I wake up from a horrible night I feel very out of shorts , and like in hold the electric wire and electric is running through my body. 

Does anyone have the same things? Or am I going crazy or is something the matter in my brian. Pls anybody? 

Many thanks
michy

Comments

• McMurtry92
    McMurtry92 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Michy. You are not alone. I Am experiencing the exact same thing. There are days where i
    am ok and days where I am not. Have you ever thought about whether there are certain things that trigger these emotions? I tend to find that if I keep myself busy, the anxiety attacks seem to be a little less apparent. What you have to think, is that these attacks do not last forever. You have to ride them out and be calm, but aware that these moments will come around again. If there are any questions or concerns, please do message me. I am a good listener and never judge anyone.
  • Michyh
    Hi McMurtry92,

thank u for replying, I guess it more worrying when I don’t understand y this is happening. And at night when I try to sleep. I tend to keep busy in the day as u said too, I have 3 boys and a husband. They just more family, it’s not even this lockdown thing as I have just got on with it and it’s like a normal thing now. I just don’t understand y I get them. 

What are ur symptoms? Are u on the same meds as me? 

I had this about 4 years ago and that all went away, but they t they back, is this for life now? All my blood tests have came back very good and I even had the bloods test to see if I was premenopausal and that came back as all fine. 
    Many thanks
    michy
  • McMurtry92
    McMurtry92 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hiya. I have 2 children both under the age of 5. They do help distract me but of course does not eradicate the problem. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to why we get these attacks, all I know is that they can be controlled. Do you see any medical professions for your anxiety? I am currently on sertraline which it’s main focus is depression and OCD but does contribute to controlling my anxiety. I am also on concerta which helps with my ADHD and Anxiety. I see a clinical psychologist on a bi weekly basis, but obviously because of lockdown, this is being done over the phone. Unfortunately I am not a doctor, so can’t offer proper sound advice, but I am happy to help you in any way I can Regards Tom
  • Michyh
    Wow 2 kiddo undo 5 is hard work, mine are 11,8,4 . I have also been put on 50g sertraline, I know the meds need time to work , but even last night I had a episode. 

It’s nice to be able to speak to people who know what I’m taking about and feeling. 

thank u replying. I’m sorry that u to suffer with this.
    I had this 4years ago and it went away until now. 
    And it always start at night, which then make matters worse as I thenget nervous about the night. And having on been on this meds 4 days I can’t seem to get to sleep. Then ones mind starts all shorts of rubbish. What gets me is all my bloods have come back perfect , they even tested me for if I was going throw the change. Which all came back as fine.
    It’s the way me head feels when having and attack that really gets me worried as it feels like I’m going to have a fit anytime soon. 
    I try and hide it from my 3 young sons as they don’t need to know I’m messed up. My husband is really good with me and try’s so hard to help me when I has a episode. 

Regards Mich
  • suzannem
    suzannem Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi I used to have massive panic attacks where I thought I’d die. I’m on 100mg sertraline have been for years . They stopped my panic attacks I was that bad I’d want to phone an ambulance. Sometimes I had them waking me up from sleep. Now I listen to mindfulness it helps I also do deep breathing I was told to put my shoulders back when I’m panicking and it stops it this really helps me 
  • Michyh
    Hi Suzanne, 
    thank u for replying, nice to speak to ppl who know what I’m going through. I too have been woken up from a episode where i thought I need to call for help. 
    I haven’t had anything episode for over the past year , my started 4 years ago and then stopped a year ago that’s when I came off citalopram. And now they have come back ??‍♀️ Y I have no idea. 

I feel it most as I try and fall asleep when my head feeling like it’s shaking from within and I’m about to fit, then the heart goes crazy and I feel very hot. And then the next day I’m all jittery and feel weird. 
  • suzannem
    suzannem Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    mine used to be at night . I think it’s worse then it heightens your senses . Thankfully I haven’t had any for years but I’m too scared to come off sertraline in case they come back . I’m glad I could help you a little 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michyh and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear about your anxiety issues as this must be quite upsetting and scary.  I see you have been receiving some fabulous support from members already which is marvellous and I hope it is helping you to feel less alone with this.  I don't have anything to add myself as have no experience of anxiety, but just wanted to welcome you here and say you can speak to us anytime for support as we all help each other on here, as you have probably already realised.  I hope things get better over time for you and wish you well.  If you need us for any help/support then you know where we are.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michyh - Welcome to the community from me too. If I can add any insight to the great support & info you have received, it would be to reinforce that getting your breathing under control may help your panic attacks. If you could practice this deep breathing technique during the day, it may prove helpful if you have a panic attack at night. It's something I used to teach as a physio student, & have used since to help me relax & get to sleep each night as I'm bothered with pain. Please see: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    I hope this may help you, & please do continue to chat here, & let us all know how you get on, thank you. :)

• Michyh
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Michyh

• Michyh
  • Michyh

Hello lovelies.

I have now been in sertraline for 10 days so just over a week.

apart from the nausea through the day I have kinda felt a bit better. But last night I had a episode, which has left me not feel great today. But also since being on the meds I can’t fall asleep even though I dog tried, I have tried the breathing, added A extra long walk to help get to sleep, pink noise, all shorts of music and nothing has helped my mind to which off and go to sleep. Which brought on last nights episode.

will this insomnia go away or should I call my doc? How will they know if they need to increase my meds ?

many thanks,

Have a blessed day.  

• m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    I think the medication I take:is for other problems Risperidone: 3mg in morning; 4mg in evening. I also do get anxious about things and feel that a lot of folk don't take that in to account when dealing with me. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Michyh. None of us are medical experts here who can't advise, so I would recommend you speak first to your GP. In my experience though, one of the common side effects of Sertraline is insomnia and it's typically recommended to wait it out and give it a couple of weeks for it to settle.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    I never even got a good explanation why the Psychiatrists signed me off. I get my medication from my GPs. The Psychiatrist just said I wasn't there when you started.  I would have thought what I said at the time, about voices and stuff, he would have made the same decision.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mitchy, how are things going? :)
    Scope

• Michyh
    Hi Chloe, 

im ok , thank u for asking. Still battling, around 4 ish in the afternoon I think the level of my meds drop as I start to feel the shaking and feel off. I had a episode on Sunday morning and was pretty useless after that for the day. Also still battling to fall a sleep, the doc did give me a few sleeping pills to take if I needed. The nausea has started to stop. But I’m just so tried as I’m not sleeping well at all. Can’t even have a nap as I can’t fall asleep. This is now my week 2 of being on the meds. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Do you mind if I ask when do you take the meds, @Michyh?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Michyh
    Hi I take it at 8:30 in the morning. 

Brightness