Possibly ESA new claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Possibly ESA new claim

Shanty321
Shanty321 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi I’m currently on ssp from work I’m in receipt of pip and husband gets Carers for our son. I have worked for many years slowly reducing working hours over the past 7 years due to illnesses/stress. I want to leave my employment as I feel I can no longer carry on as it is a stressful demanding job. I’ve done every benefit calculation going and I cannot understand or get my head round it I have so many questions that I need help on re esa uc hb if there is anyone who can help me I would be very grateful thanking you in advance.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shanty321 how are you this afternoon? perhaps if you asked specific questions we could be of more help.Have you tried "turn2us" or "entitled2" benefit checkers? you could also contact CAB and see if they in a position to offer advice at this time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Shanty321
    Hi woodbine thank you for your reply I have done a calculation and it says will get £191 a week UC £24 CT £67 CA and my pip I rent from a local council would I have to pay all my rent out of this per week? Reason I’m asking is at the moment we get elements for being in receipt of certain benefits and wondering if these elements would continue on UC thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Shanty321. Universal Credit usually includes a housing element with which you'd be expected to pay your rent. Without knowing you entire situation it would be difficult to advise whether the calculation you've done is correct. It might be worth you speaking to someone at Advicelocal and seeing if there's anyone who would be willing to do you a full benefits check-up or a better off calculation.

As you're already in receipt of housing benefit is there a reason you're particularly looking to move to UC? The other option for you to explore would be New Style ESA, but eligibility would depend on your previous work history and National Insurance contributions. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Shanty321
    Hi thank you so much I have found out my entitlement. No doubt I will have more questions to come at the moment I enjoy reading other people’s questions which I find can be helpful, once again thank you ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, its great to have you on board.

There is a lot of support from members on here and information relating to benefits, I hope you find what you are looking for .

I know you can apply for benefits 3 months prior to your SSP ending however payment will not start until your SSP has ended but it may be worth getting the applicatin started

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.