Are these questions normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are these questions normal?

Options
louise1010
louise1010 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Universal credit are asking me about the 8mths before I claimed UC. Did I have any gaps in employment, did I live with a partner and how much I earned per month? Is this normal? We have been claiming for the last 6months now ?

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @louise1010 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm not too sure about this as I'm not receiving Universal Credit myself so not much help to you, I'm afraid, sorry!  However, I'm sure some of our members who are receiving Universal Credit may know and be best to advise you and if so they will post here.  You could maybe give Universal Credit a call to ask why they are asking these questions I suppose?  I hope you get the information you are looking for anyway.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • louise1010
    Options
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @louise1010 - Welcome to the community from me too. The questions about UC seem normal, but would have thought them asked initially rather than 6 months later. I will ask a member of the Scope team to better answer on Tuesday. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope or @Chloe_Scope please would you advise here, thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @louise1010 and welcome to the community.
    These questions are usually related to the benefit cap and whether the grace period will be applied. They tend to pop up when no wages have been picked up by the system, or there's a possibility of you being capped. Universal Credit are checking your household had an income over £604/£569 a month for the past 12 months, to see if you're entitled to the grace period from the benefit cap.

I hope that makes sense but if there's anything else I can explain, let me know! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • louise1010
    Options
    Oh ok I understand now. My husband works full time and my daughter gets high rate dla so the cap doesnt apply to us anyway. It must be sent out to everyone maybe. Thanks for your reply 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @louise1010. Yes it’s sent out to everyone automatically even if they’re exempt from the cap because they receive DLA/PIP etc. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.