Struggling right now ! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling right now !

Merclondon
Merclondon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I’m a mother of a teenage son who has autism , I’m a single mum and feel so lonely as I have to deal with everything myself , I would like to chat to people in the same situation , most of the time I don’t know what I’m doing because I’m no expert to autism and my son can be very difficult at times , everyone I know ain’t going through this so I feel so alone with it all , I spend most of my time crying because I feel like a bad mum , don’t get my wrong I put my son first all the time but I find it hard to connect to him , he is my world but I feel like I’m not doing enough , does anyone else feel like this ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Merclondon and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about everything you are going through with your son with Autism as I can only imagine that this can be quite difficult and isolating at times for you on your own, but can I please reassure you that you are not alone and have done the right thing in reaching out to us.  We are all here for you on the forum so please chat to us anytime.  I'm sure that you are a fantastic mum, but just really worry about your son at times and that is understandable.  Here on the Community you will find some other members who are parents with children who have Autism too and I'm sure if you look through the discussions on the site you will come across many parents who are struggling at times too and who you can speak to and will understand what you are going through.  Often we feel that we are the only one going through something, but when we can connect to others in the similar circumstances it can reassure us that we aren't alone and make us feel a bit better.  Also we have a service on Scope called Navigate which is an emotional support service for parents and you can go online or speak to them on the phone and they will help you.  I'm including the link here to them if you want to take a look -

https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate/

Also there is an organisation called Sparkle Sheffield who are based in Sheffield, but do provide support to families who have children with Autism right across the country and you will find the link to them below -

https://sparklesheffield.co.uk/about-us/

Also NetMums have some information/support about children with Autism on their website and here is the link to that too if you would like to look -

https://www.netmums.com/support/autism-and-aspergers

Finally, I have included the National Autistic Society's link to their website too for some support -

https://www.autism.org.uk/

Also if you are on Facebook, you sometimes find that you can get support groups for different conditions so you may find something there for parents too.  I hope you find the above links and information to be helpful and you can find the best support network for you, but it is worthwhile to look and connect with other parents here too.  We are all here for you on the Community too anytime you need us so please don't struggle on alone as we can help/support you too.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you and your son are getting on and please do say if you need anything at all.  Wishing you all the best.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Merclondon
    Thank you so much for replying and the info you have provided I will certainly reach out to them , I already feel better knowing there is help and support out there , really appreciate it 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    You are very welcome and glad to hear that you feel better, @Merclondon.  We are here for you anytime.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Merclondon
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Merclondon.
    I can't imagine how difficult this is as a single parent. As a father of autistic kids, I know it can be very difficult to relate at times, but there are many many others out there going through something similar, even here on the community. Can I ask how old your son is?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Merclondon
    Hi he is just 17 , it can be extremely difficult as I try to do what I think is right but feel like it’s not , I’m sure lots of parents go through this , thank you for replying 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Obviously it's always hard to know whether what you're doing is right or not, but I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job. Has it been especially difficult since we went into lockdown? Does your son have any groups or clubs he attends usually?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness