Support for my son: developmentally immature, lacks gross motor skills and has emotional outbursts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for my son: developmentally immature, lacks gross motor skills and has emotional outbursts

green15
green15 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
We are looking for some advice and any tips would be great. 

our son is nearly 6 and is waiting to see a community paediatrician. He is developmentally immature, lacks gross motor skills has emotional outbursts, and has been at speech therapy for 3 years. We have now been told that he has no tone to his voice so his speech may never improve. At school he has to have 1:1 but is very bright especially at maths! He got excluded for violence and is rarely in the classroom.   

We have tried everything we can think of but he seems to be more difficult to manage the older her gets. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @green15

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some info/advice on here that should be helpful.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/families-with-disabled-children/

https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/where-to-get-educational-support/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/talk-to-school-about-adjustments-for-child/

Please please let me know if you need any help with this info????

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @green15 and welcome to the community its great to have you on board.

I see you have been given some advice which I hope you find helpful.

Have your child's school not been of any support and referred him for SEN assessment and what is your GP doing I woujld say these are the first points of contact, or have you been in touch with childrens social services for advice  
  • green15
    Hello, 

thank you for your reply. The school are 110% on board and amazing with everything. It’s the appointments and consultations have been going on for years now and we still don’t have any answers. He has also had abnormal EEG results and is seeing a neurologist, which has also been going on for over 2 years and were still no closer to getting him help. Is there anything we can do to support the No tone in his voice? 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Hi @green15

I’m very very glad to see that you are happy with your sons educational needs.

I am sorry to hear about your sons healthcare needs though.

Yes I have seen many many neurologist’s since 1998.

Some good & some bad.

The bad ones haven’t lasted long at all believe me.

What part of England do you live in if you don’t mind me asking???

Hi @Richard_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this question “with no tone” in his voice.

@steve51

• green15
    Hi Steve,

we are in Cambridgeshire, and the speech therapist explained it as when people talk the tone of your voice changes, however our sons stays at one pitch. Similar to a toddlers voice
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @green15
    We’re all here to support you if you need us, even if it’s just a chat. It must be so tough for you all. 
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    Hi @green15
    Welcome to the community!
    it does sound like our Navigate service would be useful for you, I have met many parents like yourself who are struggling to understand what may help and they can help you to work our a plan.

You should also have a local offer in your area that explains what services are available.
    We have some advice on managing children at home during lock down; when they have additional needs this time can be extra stressful, so these pages may be helpful.
    take care 
    Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues
  • EmmaR_Alumni
    HI @green15
    How are things going this week?

Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues
  • green15
    Not great. We’re on day 6 of barely any sleep and violent outbursts. How’s everyone else? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I can certainly relate to the lack of sleep @green15. None of my kids have been good sleepers (my youngest has gone through stages of sleeping in 20 minute bursts!) but struggling through on no sleep only to face violent outbursts and all the difficulties associated with that must be really tough.

Emma mentioned checking out our Navigate service earlier in the thread, which I think might be really useful for you. But you might also like to give our free Sleep Right service a look, too.

I'm also going to tag in our volunteer speech and language adviser @NicolaLatheySLT in case she might be able to make any suggestions?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • EmmaR_Alumni

HI @green15

Sleep is so precious isn't it, and lack of it certainly impacts on EVERYONE in the house, depending on where you live Sleep Right may be an option as Adrian said, but the webpages have loads of tips if you don't live in the area we currently work.

In Leeds where our project is based we've run some parent workshops on dealing with behaviour during lockdown and understanding sensory behaviours.  They are available on you tube and may be useful for you.  Understanding what is causing behaviour or how to reduce the triggers could help.

Sensory behaviours at home can be found here https://youtu.be/zEJifpewzgs and

Supporting positive behaviour at home workshop here https://youtu.be/w-st-wDhhp8

hopefully you'll find something that helps soon.
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hello Everyone.  Thanks for your message.  I wouldn't worry about tone of voice at the age of 6.  When children go through their teenage years they tend to speak in a monotone again and if that lingers on into early adulthood, that's when I would recommend that you seek some support.  
    Best wishes, Nicola - Speech Therapist, The Owl Centre
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    p.s. I also think sensory issues contribute massively to sleep difficulties. Thanks Nicola 
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Hi
    Has he got a disgnosis? If yoy had one you could look up what other people do and it could help him.

Brightness