Feel like the country doesn't care I'm disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feel like the country doesn't care I'm disabled

MiamiWeasel
MiamiWeasel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone - I’m 20, I suffer with arthritis, depression and anxiety, while trying to care for my younger sister, and all my pets (goldfish, ferret and guinea pigs). 
I’m an immigrant (From US to U.K.) so it’s been a tough journey for me to possibly get benefits, which will be cancelled in 2yrs time and I will have to do all over again because of visas. It’s hard to not let the depression get me down when it feels like the country doesn’t care I am disabled. Does anyone else feel this way, even if you were born here? If I was not entitled to benefits (you must request home office to allow you) I would never be allowed them. 

I’m hoping this community will help me realise I am not alone! 

Thank you all. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MiamiWeasel

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am part of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Hopefully a number of members who are in similar situations as you should be able to help you with things??

I am more than happy in showing you around our community.

Please please let me know how you feel??

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MiamiWeasel Welcome to the community. By reading other posts you will see that you are not alone in your feelings. 

You will see how lots of people have to fight for their benefits they are entitled to even those born and brought up in this country.

Becoming disabled certainly showed me how you have to fight for your rights even after paying into the system for over 35 years I had a hard fight and yes it makes you feel like your country doesn't care 

Just keep up the fight an we are all here for supporty
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi 
    Two years is a long time to worry.  I'm afraid?  Why not enjoy today. Give yourself a year and then worry about it! Everything seems hard at the moment and laws  change due to lots of things.  Enjoy today.  
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @MiamiWeasel hope you are ok today? You have a valid point, disabled people in many cases have faced an uphill struggle to get the benefits they are entitled to in recent years, as @Denise11 says the best policy many of us find helps is live for today and try and not worry too much about in two years time.
    If theres anything any of us can help with just ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Do you work?   Or would you like to?  There are trusts that will help pay an employer to take on a disabled person and it wouldn't effect your PIP.  You could mix and make friends.  Have a normal life.  Your arthritis would be taken into consideration and you will show the Home Office that you deserve to be here.  As I said it wouldn't effect your PIP in anyway.  I've did that for 24 years!  Also, if you needing things to help you do a job there are people who would assess you at work and provide you with what you need.  What do you think?

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, whilst some people don't care if we are disabled, there are many that do.
    I see this daily....by my carers, NHS staff, business people, neighbours, family and others, who are helpful kind and respectful.

Then of course, there are people who don't give a fig if we are less abled, poor, have mental health issues, are black, brown, white, yellow or whatever colour, creed or race.

The world is an odd place...full of beauty and ugliness all at the same time.

How we choose to think and feel about this may depend on what control we have over it...if any.

Life isn't always what you make it...but there are times when it is.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MiamiWeasel! Just wanted to see how you were getting on. :)
    Scope

Brightness