Gardening: Do you have green fingers? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gardening: Do you have green fingers?

Comments

• Karen777
    Karen777 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    We should b able to meet at some land if ok with or without a carer n do some gardening 4 the council orr??? I think sum wud find it therapeutic n there is plenty to do if we cud all get picked up or get to a destination as wen there we can still do social distancing if need be ?? X just n idea 4 Teessiders?? X 
  • matt59
    matt59 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've been in and our of gardening. 

Had a small allotment at one point but it was a bit much to manage. Grew courgettes and marrow! Only because I forgot to get a few. 

Miss it a bit I've a tumbling tomato plant at the moment. Not doing to well need a few more flowers.

Do miss being in there as much as before.

I've got a Chinese elm too dragonslayer. Its room shape pretty cool plants 
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    edited June 2020
    I don't have a garden, but I do have strawberry plants on my balcony and I grow micro vegetables indoors. I had a Venus flytrap, but I found it really difficult to care for. I would love a bonsai at some point! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I love the idea of a Bonsai too, but that seems like a step too far for someone who can't seem to keep a cactus alive.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    I have an allotment.  I spend lots of time weeding which I really like because two robins visit me.  I am building a lighthouse out clay pots and painting it blue and white - it is about a metre in height.   I love my lottie - it is the safest place I have ever known. I am also going to build a little wildlife sanctuary on a raised platform with a hedgehog house and ant hotel (not booking in there!!!) and there will be lots of wild flowers for the bees and butterflies.  
  • fairybellsxo
    fairybellsxo Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    @phillycollings29 I have always wanted an allotment, they look quiet and peaceful, I feel it would be a place of peace and quiet for me too, there are loads near to where I live, but people snap them up quite quickly! 

That lighthouse sounds like a nice little project, please could you take some photos? once it is finished Id love to see the end result, the hedgehog hotel also sounds fabulous, my aunt has one and she has a little visitor quite often, wildflowers are the prettiest and very beneficial for the wildlife, I love it when bees buzz inside flower petals and it echo's like a flowery trumpet haha!

My dad loves nature/wildlife and he has built a little bee house and has a section in the garden devoted to wildflowers/nettles, his garden is essentially an organised ' mess ' of plants and things for wildlife to love and thrive in, :)

It sounds like you've got a lovely little sanctuary there :) and I am glad it's bringing you joy!

All the best.
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    I have just moved into a disabled converted house provided by a Housing Association  with a through floor lift, I use a wheelchair so can't bend down, The garden is overgrown and seems neglected, A friend said, raised beds were the answer but I can't afford to have it done, does anyone know if this is covered by any grants or adaptions funds that I could apply for 
  • phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    Hi @fairybellsxo
    Have you put your name down for an allotment.  I had to wait for 19 months before I got mine.  Just a thought x
  • dkb123
    the waiting time in London  for an allotment is around 3 years  
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    dkb123 said:
    I have just moved into a disabled converted house provided by a Housing Association  with a through floor lift, I use a wheelchair so can't bend down, The garden is overgrown and seems neglected, A friend said, raised beds were the answer but I can't afford to have it done, does anyone know if this is covered by any grants or adaptions funds that I could apply for 
    Try www.growfruitandveg.co.uk

There is a thread for people looking for allotments,and allotments available in all areas. 

Plus people looking to help with gardening and growing veg,if people have available space,gardens,etc,in return a shared split of grown veg,costs,plus a  great way for  people to make friends and help each other.  

• dkb123
    gaz1960 said:
    dkb123 said:
    Try www.growfruitandveg.co.uk

There is a thread for people looking for allotments,and allotments available in all areas. 

Plus people looking to help with gardening and growing veg,if people have available space,gardens,etc,in return a shared split of grown veg,costs,plus a  great way for  people to make friends and help each other.  

thanks I have looked briefly at it but seems a bit complicated to navigate, but will  try it out 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    We planted sunflowers at the weekend. Also, the garden has appreciated the rain this week!

How are your plants looking?
    Scope

• CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Struggling to keep on top of it at the moment but my garden is what keeps me sane....well almost
    Just one happy corner shown here
  • KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    We've pulled our radishes, and some beans have appeared on my son's beanstalk. Our rhubarb has suddenly sprung into life and we have some fruit bushes with fruit growing, if our children will just wait for them to ripen. We have sunflowers, tomatoes and strawberries growing in the greenhouse, but we have not dared plant them out yet. Grass is a bit of a jungle though. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    @CJ61, that looks amazing! I love the shades of purple.

Sounds like you have busy garden @KarenO_Scope! Do you have a plan of what you are wanting to make with the ingredients you have grown?
    Scope

• Constructiveway
    Constructiveway Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited June 2020

Nice,

It brings even some extra benefits, healthy benefits

I particularly like hanging baskets
    It'll be a community project and yet, it's not clear if it's not gonna be designed for someone disabled (in this case, it could be eligible for grants) but, perhaps, not (it'll be a bit remote, inaccessible). Yup, at the same, I like it too, I'd like to hang up shelves, grow in floors, economically, to multiple times use space by hanging up (e.g. in 5 floors, 10cm x 10cm so 100/m2 and 500/5 floors per 1m2) with led lights, a small wind power plant, automated watering, and some webcams connected to RaspberriesOranges or Bananas, and the temperature under the ground (4-8 feet, it's enough to avoid freezing and get the extra space). What do we know, maybe I find something from Etsy or Aliexpress when I/someone will be rigging, I wanna make it look good/interesting. When there'll be time, I'd like to build one (a greenhouse, in this case) just to show/prove the feasibility and price tags. 

Regards

• Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for sharing this @Constructiveway. :)
    Scope

• LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    I've got a yard which I've turned into a bit of a garden last year with a lot of help from a friend. I'm glad it was done last year as it wouldn't have happened this year. I've got a makeshift flower bed made from wooden pallets and painted blue. Theres a few potted plants too and a car tyre spray painted and planted with a Red Grandaisy yesterday. 
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • dkb123
    There's no money around for community gardening anymore, councils are all near bankruptcy and because of the increased use of cards the old fundraising methods of shaking a tin for peoples change don't have much success, maybe we should start a new thread about how we can raise funds for community gardening projects 

Brightness