Help - sidelined by shortened hours — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help - sidelined by shortened hours

Charl1966
Charl1966 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2020 in Work and employment
I am reasonable new to a fibromyalgia diagnosis. The past year my symptoms have increased and my health deteriorated considerably. I had to cut my hours at work and am now facing redundancy due to this and COVID impacting the business, I am the one that they are sidelining due to my shortened hours. Help!

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Charl1966

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I had similar a few years ago now when my health deteriorated drastically.

Do you have a local “CAB” they will be best for you.

Please please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help/support you with???

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Charl1966 Welcome to the community great to have you with us.

What do you need help with you didn't really specify is it about being made redundant or other issues
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    You must be really worried @Charl1966. If you're able to give us some idea of what you're looking for help with, we'll do our best to help. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Charl1966
    I was wondering where I stand regarding any benefits if they make me redundant due to my health. Can they actually make me redundant after agreeing to reduce my hours. Just not sure what now really.
  • janer1967
    Hi 

Regarding benefits you can claim it is dependant on your circumstances you would be best trying to do a benefits calculator available on the gov website

Regarding redundancy the company need to have a valid reason for redundancy and a clear selection criteria eg last in first out, role no longer needed, reduce costs cut out some roles, restructure, performance the is is endless.

They should consult with each of you and explain what sort of roles they have that may be suitable and how you would be assessed against suitability for that role, or if they feel there are no roles you would be suitable for hence the reason for redundancy

Again it isn't easy to comment when I don't have knowledge of the full situation  

Do you have a union rep who should discuss this with you or in case of any oither options you can contact ACAS 
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Martin lewis responded to a viewer with a very similar situation to this on his show last week.

A full time employee than had been on furlough and was now being asked to go onto reduced hours for less pay.

It might be worth you having a look at the programme on catch up. It was the programme shown on itv last thursday (11th june)
  • Charl1966
    Thank you for the advice. I will take at look at Martins show. It appears that while I have been off on furlough they have pulled the others back in and left me at home and he is saying they need full time staff. My hours were reduced due to my health but it was being reviewed prior to COVID and they were going to write to my Dr. I have said I am able to go back to my full time hours so have thrown the ball back in their court. There are two people who started long after me doing the same job. They cannot get me on efficiency and work as I know I am very good at what I do. My health has been the only issue and they agreed to reduce my hours with constant reviews.  Not sure where I stand if they discriminate against me for my health issues. 
  • janer1967
    If you feel there is discrimination  then that is a separate issue and first off you should put your grievance in writing. Read the company policy regarding grievance and discrimination  and as suggested before speak to union or ACAS 
  • Charl1966
    Thank you will do 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This must be a really big worry @Charl1966! Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Charl1966
    Hi, my boss called me and basically suggested I take redundancy. I have been on reduced hours due to my health, which is being reviewed ongoing. I have been furloughed. They pulled everyone else in and now he is saying they need three full time people and there are four of us. Two of whom joined after I had been there for a year.  One with no office experience, this is her first office job and she dies not do contract support (my role) and one who has only recently joined. 

I said I am happy to do my full hours again after having this break to work on my health and he has to now review abs I am waiting to hear back. He said they are scared I come back full time and start getting ill again.  Thanks 

Brightness