My son cannot go to school after the lockdown — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son cannot go to school after the lockdown

NTTconcon
NTTconcon Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My 12 yr old son was diagnosed with ASD and anxiety disorder. He is changing from primary school to junior high school, so he only has few friends left in a new school. After more than 3 months staying at home, he cannot get back to school. He rarely come out with us for dinner and he just wants to stay in his room all day playing iPad. 

What should I do now?
Tagged:

Comments

• EmmaR_Alumni
    EmmaR_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 28 Courageous
    HI @NTTconcon
    I am sorry you are all experiencing this transitions are a really difficult time for all children never mind when they have additional needs.  Is your primary school supporting with transitions, if they are not they should be, and you can ask the junior high school to support too.  Ask for some information on what it will be like, photos, and what 'fun' he will have.

There's some great advice on Scope website https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/returning-to-school-coronavirus/

Can you talk to him about the subjects he enjoys, how he will be extending his learning in these subjects and maybe ask the high school for some taster sessions to do online. 

But also you are the parent and family rules and expectations help everyone,  so does routine, so now is the time to set a new routine, so how about a family meeting where you all agree certain times of the day to spend together and gently build these up, start with say having lunch together building to all 3 meals and then maybe once every other day an activity together. 

slowly slowly

MY 3 teens would happily stay in their rooms all day, but I insist on meals together if nothing else (and they kind of enjoy it when they get over themselves).

let us know how you get on

Emma Rose  - Scope Activities for All-  support and advice for parents and professionals on inclusion and children's disability issues
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I understand this being parent of 13 year old who stays in his room most of the time, he does not have any disabilities .

I ensure as above he spends at least some of his time with me he isn't allowed in his room till noon after completing his school work.

Also as above his school should be providing transition support, does he have a SEN advisor or anything. You have few months to sort this before he is due back to school.

Have you spoken to his GP or school regarding this
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NTTconcon, how are things going?

I imagine this has been a difficult time.
    Scope

Brightness