Garden — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Garden

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Hi Everyone
Can anyone help me?
I have a small garden. But because of my condition I can no longer cope with the upkeep and the work needed to keep it in good condition so it is overgrown. I would like to have it cleared and paved but can't find anyone to do the work. I will of course pay the going rate for this.
Anyone know of anyone suitable?I
Alan

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    it would usually be somebody local, but most of them might not be doing any work atm due to CV19, have a look at "rated people" in your area, or maybe people who have good reviews on facebook, and even then if possible get 2 or 3 quotes to make sure you aren't being ripped off, and NEVER pay until the work is finished to your safisfaction.
    An extra thought you could always ask your local council for recomendations, in fact our council do jobs like that (for a charge).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    Hi Woodbine
    Thanks for the info. I will take a look.
    Hopefully someone on here will maybe have a contact for me, someone they have used and can recommend. But I will take on board all you have said and follow your good advise. 
    Stay safe and Thanks again
    Alan
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome @Dragonslayer

A good way to find a local gardener is to ask around for some personal vetted recommendations. Alternatively you can use this website to find some trustworthy gardeners in your area. Make sure to check out the reviews carefully however in case. Also make certain that you get quotes to compare as well. 
    https://www.bidvine.com/gardening-services
    Have you checked the Yellow Pages? You might be able to find a gardener that way. Be upfront about what you want. Do not hesitate to ask questions either to learn more about the applicant. Or you could always look at the adverts in a few what's on magazines in addition and then make a informed decision based on your gut impression.
    I once hired a gardener after a two step process. I looked at a printed colourful mini advert in a local magazine in a supermarket. Unorthodox but I kind of liked what I saw in the advert. I then emailed them with a few gardening questions to make sure that I could trust them alone for a while. If you do go down this route, I recommend either conducting a short professional interview over the phone at least to talk about the skills and qualifications of the candidate no matter what before hiring them or emailing the person a few questions regarding their experience, skills, reviews and qualifications. I hope that you do manage to find someone. Good luck! Oh and make notes of their answers. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer, here is Rated People that @woodbine mentioned. :)

Also, there is some information about if you would qualify for garden help from your local council. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help.
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Hi there
    Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I have followed all you have said and posted a request on rated people. We will see how things pan out. I will let you all know.
    Dragonslayer.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Have you had much interest so far @Dragonslayer?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi Adrian
    So far I have had no response to the advert I placed on Rated people. Whether this is due to the virus or people not being able to get supplies I'm not sure!  But my wife has found someone that we are hoping will be able to take it on. But again I think this is subject to the virus. I will have to persevere and keep looking and see how things go.
    Dragonslayer. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I imagine a lot of people are holding fire taking on jobs at the moment as no one is sure what the rules will be or making many plans for the future. I hope you get something in place soon though @Dragonslayer. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi there everyone
    I am still having big problems finding anyone to come and pave my garden! So much so I am losing all hope for the working community of this country. Is no-one interested in working for a living anymore? 
    The internet is a great thing, especially in these hard times, but it seems to be full of people using it for things other than what it was invented for!
    Maybe it has just become a haven for scammers and people pretending to be genuine, or qualified in things they have no idea about?I
    Or is it me? Just having a hard time and looking in the wrong places?
    Thanks
    Dragonslher.

• Chloe_Scope
    Sorry you haven't had interest @Dragonslayer, were you able to contact the council to see if they could offer any support?
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    I have only had one response to doing the garden and he is coming to take a look on the 20th, so we will see how that pans out. The council does not cover our region for helping, so no hope there. I will keep on trying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope they are able to help you! Please do let us know how you get on @Dragonslayer. :)
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Hi @Dragonslayer, here is Rated People that @woodbine mentioned. :)

Also, there is some information about if you would qualify for garden help from your local council. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help.
    Finally it's looking good to have a part of my garden paved.
    I had a guy come today to have a look and I am confident he will be OK. So now I am just waiting for a quote.
    And the funny thing is. He is the grandson of one of my former neighbours and I got his contact from my next door neighbour. It shows just what you can find on your own doorstep.
    Dragonslayer.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Amazing news! I really hope it goes okay. :)
    Scope

• CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Hi @Dragonslayer
    I have had the same problem as you. Need help with house work and garden. I'm in East Sussex and on their website is a section called care with confidence. It has lists of self employed people who have been vetted by them and each person lists their services and prices and lists the ones closest to you by postcode. I found several men and ladies who list many things all at approx £15hr. I'm in the process of emailing or texting some of them. Hope you find something similar. Good luck. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi there
    Well it looks like I have been let down yet again. The guy I pinned all my hopes on to pave my garden has not been in contact yet and that's over a week ago!
    My only hope now rests with one other guy who has been and measured up, he is staying in contact and is sending samples of the kind of stone I like. I think he will be expensive, but at least do it right. Problem is I will have to wait 5 months for him to do it.
    After all the phone calls and e-mails I have sent to workers over the last 4 months I am losing my faith in British
    workers!
    Anyone else had similar problems. 

• Chloe_Scope
    This must be frustrating @Dragonslayer! I hope someone is able to help. 
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Finally, I am just a few weeks away from having my garden patio and pathway paved! 
    After five months of searching, phoning, e.mails, googling and head scratching someone is coming to start the work in a couple of weeks time. Thanks to all for comments and helpful advice and I have enjoyed reading all that is going on in your gardens and the projects you are involved with.
    Keep digging, planting, hoping and growing, it will be all worth it in the end. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Oh, and by the way my wife's tomato plants and the flowers she has planted are all doing well. It is time I think to raise a glass. Or maybe two!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Oh, and by the way my wife's tomato plants and the flowers she has planted are all doing well. It is time I think to raise a glass. Or maybe two!
    Sounds like it's going well @Dragonslayer
    Scope

Brightness