Hi, my name is Michaela! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Michaela!

MichaelaJane
MichaelaJane Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Some people may think I don’t class as having a disability, because they can’t see it. But believe me, my daily life has changed dramatically since my diagnosis. 
I have battled with my mental health since I was 9 years old, which is when I was first admitted to hospital with it. After years of battles with doctors and counsellors I was finally given a diagnosis at the age of 19. 
I have Borderline Personality Disorder. 
Highly medicated for it, can’t even hold down a job. Which is unfortunate as I qualified as a support worker at the age of 16. I loved nursing, what I would give to be able to go back. 
I’ve tried my hardest to live a happy normal life, I’m married, have 2 daughters, a dog and 2 cats. My husband is my full time carer. I take my hat off to him to be able to do it, as on my worst days I fly off the handles. I know I wouldn’t be able to do it. 

Anyway, enough about me for now. Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thank you for sharing this @MichaelaJane. This is a safe space here and I hope you’ll stick around and get stuck in with our discussions.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MichaelaJane

Welcome it’s great to meet you this evening.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I can see that you have gone down the same road as me over the years.

“Hidden Disability”

This has been a big stumbling block for me!!!!!

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with???

@steve51

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MichaelaJane :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, its nice to have you join us. Thank you for sharing your story with us there are lots of members here with invisible disabilities. I look forward to seeing you around
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MichaelaJane - Welcome to this online community. Scope is here for people with anything that dis-ables them. That came be physical or mental health issues, or, as sometimes happens, both. I have a genetic disorder which is disabling physically, but to anyone that doesn't know me, it's an 'invisible' disorder.
    So, thank you for joining & sharing about yourself in your introduction as you are most welcome, & do chat here any time. :)

Brightness