Make someone smile ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Make someone smile ?

saz11
saz11 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
Good evening 

It is my  understanding the site is to listen , learn and support one and other. 

After reading some post were the discussions turn into a debate about one thing or another and not the OP , are very off putting .

I come onto the site to get help and offer help and support were I can

The site has been a great support and comfort to me especially as I have no family support and considering the awful situation our country has been in I would expect us to support each other.  

People are suffering terribly and it saddens me that a support site were people like myself seek support and friendships etc....has some members who maybe don't appreciate that concept. 

So many members rely and enjoy the site , and most times the post are positive , helpful and offer genuine support which can be invaluable, so please let's just be kind , caring and supportive to each other. 

I would rather my time and effort helped someone and hopefully made them smile ?

Comments

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,619 Disability Gamechanger
    @saz11. Hi and good morning, I joined about 3 months ago and Iv met some of the nicest people who give me great support and advice, I have read a few posts that have turned into a negative debate, I just don’t get involved, as you sd for me this is a place for advice and support and I’m really enjoying that as I live on my own it’s a great place to keep connected, thanks for your post ?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Honestly I haven't noticed many threads turning into arguments. I have found this forum is a nice place. However I only really post on the coffee lounge. Maybe the other sections have more arguments in them.

I don't argue on the internet, anyway. It's a complete waste of time! As above, just don't get involved.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @saz11. I'm really glad to read the community has been a great support and comfort to you.

As with any forum which plays host to a diverse group of people, there will be the occasional topic that provokes lively discussion. For the most part, we encourage open debate, but this must always be done in a civil manner and in accordance with our community guidelines.
    If you find any posts that you think have broken these community guidelines, you can always report the individual posts by clicking the 'Flag' button underneath and selecting 'Report' and the Community Team will review the posts you're concerned about.

We do work hard to try and keep the community a safe and supportive place for everyone and thankfully for the most part, it is. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kelly45
    kelly45 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    I've not yet seen negative comments. 
    Sometimes this behaviour can be sparked by the smallest remark they have seen and have had a very bad experience to someone else.
    Be mindful of mental health as this could be their cry for help ? try and be understanding and don't argue back ? you could be helping someone or if they are looking for an argument just to be horrible they will get bored very quickly without a negative reaction ?x
    Win Win!!!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi i think I know what you are on about with dome of the posts but most of these are just lively debates with people who have differing opinions or experiences.
    However I have seen a few where they are directly aimed ay an individual with some not very nice comments. As Adrian above has said if you come across these should be flagged
    I think the majority of posts are very helpful and supportive and its nice tyo her how many find this forum so
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Looking back I find that the greatest pleasures and pains I’ve had in life are due to other people. Now that I’m older I find I can block negativity more easily so I’m not so affected by others and of course that means I can smile more often. Perhaps that’s why some surveys have found that older people are happier? Not sure but I also tend to choose my company more carefully too, which is why I’m happy to post on this forum. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Compared to some forums out there this place is a breath of fresh air, the members are friendly, helpful, kind and a wealth of knowledge, as in all aspects of life things do very occasionally become a little heated but scope are brilliant and putting a stop to such threads. 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,619 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with you 100% Woodbine this is an amazing place for advice and support and a good chat ☺️
  • gogaman911
    gogaman911 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    This is a first chat I have ever joined. And it is very positive experience. For me being stuck on my bed for long time, this place is massive help for my mental state. Nice to be part of it! THANK YOU ALL!!! ???
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @gogaman911! Great to have you with us. :)
    Scope

Brightness