ESA and PPI — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and PPI

Options
Kathytim
Kathytim Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Its hard to give thia description, so here goes. Before I met my husband back in 2006, he had taken a loan out. We married in 2010 I was the sole wage earner. Due to circumstances I ended up having to leave( I worked in McDS) Last year they put me on disablity ESA. I think my husband filled in some paper work back in 2014., that he had forgotten about. The short of it is my husband had a letter last week to say he was entitled a PPI payment of over £8000. As it is in my husbands name for something that happened before we met would this affect our ESA. We have proof of year for the loan and our marraige certificate. TY 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am not too sure about the answer to your question but I would think if it is a joint claim for benefits then the money would be taken into account, but the effect this would have on your benefits Im not sure.

There will be other members who can advise you better , I just wanted to say Hi 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi @Kathytim first question has to be will he get the £8k, sometimes its used to pay off the debt if it still exist. Second question is are you receiving Income based or cont.based ESA?
    If its income based then the £8000 would be counted as capital. do you have other savings? IR ESA will be reduced by £4.35 for every £250 over £6,000 so e,g £10,000 capital would mean benefit being reduced by £69.60 per week, of course once capital reduces below £6k benefits would return to what they were, but keep in mind you can't just blow the £ to get more benefits.
    HTH
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Kathytim! How are you getting on? 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.