Help leasing a scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help leasing a scooter

keithmcc
keithmcc Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm a new amputee and am wondering if any help leasing a scooter ?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @keithmcc

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Can I please ask you if you get any Benefits???

@steve51

• phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    Hi @keithmcc
    A very warm welcome to you.  
    I don't really know anything being an amputee but I am certain you will find some help here at Scope.  :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community! Have you had a wheelchair assessment?
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @keithmcc Welcome to the community, I am an amputee too, I presume you have a chair provided by wheelchair services I have found if you are able to self propel a wheelchair they dont really fund power chairs or scooters.

Have you applied for PIP as if you get the mobility element you can lease a scooter on the mobility scheme though this can work out expensive as it is leased and never yours.

You can also lease one yourself from companies I found they were not that expensive when I looked into it I just googled mobility scooters for rent.

The other is to buy one second hand you can pick them up quite cheap on ebay or facebook selling sites

Hope this helps, there is also a great group on facebook called Jo's odd shoes who swap odd shoes for amputees 

Hope you find what you are looking for
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    @keithmcc

In the town where I live there are at least 5 or 6 shops with disabled aids.  These businesses have all different makes of wheelchairs and scooters and I wonder if it's the same with you.  Garden centres sell them too but their staff haven't got the same knowledge as the shops so I would avoid these unless there is nowhere else to go.  So, if I were you I would go around and try different ones out to get to know if there is any particular one that suits you.  There are also companies online, some are cheaper then in the shops.  A friend asked the NHS for a wheelchair and she received 2 years later so it maybe better to buy. Or get a second hand one which I've done and they are good too! Hope this helps.   
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Hello @keithmcc! You have a few options. If you live in a big city or town, you could look up local mobility aid shops online first and then visit with a pen plus a short list of questions.
    Or you can go in person. What will you use the scooter for? Have you heard of the ShopMobility scheme or not? Alternatively contact a Motability scheme to see if they can help you. Look at their site in addition, lots of useful information on there worth reading. Also look at some companies online too. Don't use a garden centre, from my painful experience I know they will not be able to assist you. Stick to organisations who can actually help instead. 

Brightness