Hi, my name is podgey75! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is podgey75!

podgey75
podgey75 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi guys I recently made a claim to universal credit but when making the claim I did not know my national insurance number however the person on the phone assured me that it was fine and they could sort everything for me. Now this month my payment was 0 because of a “report or earning from employer” which is not me I contacted universal credit and we have deduced that they have used someone else’s NI number by mistake but they are saying until they find the correct one they cannot pay me? Surely there is some way for me to get financial help whilst this is done? Does anyone know? I have also been refused a hardship payment as they say that’s only for sanctions. I honestly don’t know what to do as I’m left penniless due to their mistake

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @podgey75 have you claimed benefits in the recent past? and were they paid into a bank account? if so your N.I number would be shown on your bank statement.
    Some advice on upfront payments here >>
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/get-advance-payment/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• podgey75
    I’ve already got my claim Up and running and had received my first payment but then my second payment was zero as they said I’d been paid by my employer which is obviously incorrect. But now I have to wait for this whole mess to be sorted out which could takes weeks as I’ve had to request my NINO by post so I was hoping someone would know what help is available whilst this is done.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you read the link in my post?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• podgey75
    Yes I did thanks however I had already had an advance payment weeks before my first UC payment. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @podgey75

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

How are you doing currently is there anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51

• podgey75
    @steve51 hi Steve I’m just looking to find out any info of what financial help I may be eligible for whilst waiting for the DWP to sort out the predicament I previously stated 
  • steve51
    Hi @podgey75

Is there anything that I can do to help you???

@steve51
  • podgey75
    Hi @steve51 I don’t think so steve but thanks for asking I really appreciate it 
  • steve51
    Hi @podgey75

No probs please please let me know if there’s anything???

@steve51
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Hi @podgey75 - I'm very sorry to read about your predicament, but, altho I don't have any answers I can find, I hope you don't mind if I ask one of the Scope team to see if they may be able to advise. @Adrian_Scope please can you help here, thank you.
  • podgey75
    @steve51 thanks a lot Steve really appreciate it if you know anyway to get financial help whilst this is going on like through dwp or other government departments I’d love to hear
  • podgey75
    @chairieds no I really don’t mind that is why I’m here to see if anyone knows what I can do or has any advice so thank you for you reply 
  • steve51
    Hi @podgey75

I can forward your post onto another one of our senior members for you.

Hi @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post??????

@steve51
  • podgey75
     just a little update I received a note on my journal today saying they have removed the wrong National Insurance number from my account and will pay my what they owe (£348) then messaged me to hours later saying sorry for our mistake we cannot release the payment until they sort out the correct NINO or issue a new one. Think this  disgusting telling someone they are going to receive there payment then saying actually your not 
  • steve51
    Hi @podgey75

I am so sorry to hear about your day my friend.

Hi @Adrian_Scope

Can you please help me with this ongoing post!!!!!!!

@steve51

• podgey75
    I’ve just been advised that temporary reference number (TRN) can be used to make payments whilst waiting for a national insurance number. Does anyone know if this is true? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @podgey75 - I'm very sorry about the conflicting info you've been sent. I don't know if a TRN can be used to get your payments put into place successfully. Have you been given any idea as to when you might receive your NI number through the post?
    I'll contact Adrian to see if he can advise tomorrow in case he hasn't picked up on this.
  • podgey75
    I have no idea all I know is that it’s been passed to a team that deals with these kind of things if they cannot trace my NI they will issue a new one but I have no idea how long this takes or the process so I guess I’ll just have to wait for UC to contact me
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @podgey75

I can only imagine how stressful this is for you.

Before you claimed UC were you working or claiming another benefit? If you were claiming another benefit you should be able to get your NI number from any letters they've sent you. If you were working previously it should be on your wage slip.

Have you ever signed up for a personal tax account? If so, you should be able to get the information from there too.

Your local council may have some discretionary funds available that you can apply for to help in the mean time, if you search online for your local authority and give them a call they may be able to help. Your work coach or Jobcentre should also know of any schemes local to you. There may also be a grant your eligible for if you take a look at Turn2us

Can I also ask if you've contacted the National Insurance Helpline?

Telephone: 0300 200 3500

Textphone: 0300 200 3519

Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 4pm

This helpline uses speech recognition software, so you will be asked why you are calling HMRC. Try to answer with short phrases and words, for example:

• “change my address”
    • “question about National Insurance payments”
    • “find out National Insurance rates”
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness