Does anyone know the process (and how long it takes) of applying for CA when self-employed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone know the process (and how long it takes) of applying for CA when self-employed?

pault34
pault34 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi All

I have recently been awarded PIP and my wife is applying for Carers Allowance. We filled out the online application about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything as yet. My wife is self-employed (started October 2019) and earns less than the £128 limit per week after expenses, but as we haven't heard from the CA unit wondered if anyone could advise how they ask for the information regarding her income? And if possible how long they take to process applications?

Thank you.

Paul

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Evening Paul; during the online application process it does say it can take around six weeks, but from what some people are saying it does take longer, the good news is it will be back-dated to the day she applied, if you have heard nothing at all in the next 3 weeks I would phone them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pault34
    Thanks @woodbine, we must have missed the bit about it being 6 weeks. It's all very new to us and it's great that this forum exists as trying to find info using Google just overwhelms you!
  • woodbine
    If we can help with anything else Paul just ask mate.

• pault34
    Hi @woodbine, just wanted to update you, and hopefully anyone else who might be in a similar situation. Carer's Unit rang my wife for verbal confirmation of her income from self-employment and then advised her she would be re-assessed after her first full year of self-employment. Received confirmation of award for Carers Allowance about a week afterwards.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad it's been sorted for you and your wife @pault34 and thanks for updating us. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @paul34 I'm glad you finally heard back and it seems to be good news for you.

If you ever need support with anything else, don't hesitate to post, as you did here :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news glad it is sorted and thank for sharing with us
  • woodbine
    Thats great

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.