Life during lockdown - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Life during lockdown

124»

Comments

• christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Lockdown has been funny. My little five year old brother came around lunchtime today to stay here over the weekend. This is only his second time since early February before it all started. What should I cook? Ideas wanted desperately. 
  • Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering

Can someone help me out here?  This is why I said I feel like a prisoner.

My disability is loss of balance, I have no sense of balance due to the removal of a brain tumour in 1974.  How I've learned to cope with things over a 40 year period suits me.

I need to hold on to things when I do walk - ie the wall, desks etc.  So, my questuion is - due to the coronavirus pandemic, is it safe for me to hold onto things if I wore gloves and if so, what kind of gloves - latex or ordinary everyday gloves - ie wool? 

I know it may be a silly question, but I feel that things have not been explained very well.  I am getting really confused about things.  Any suggestions?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Stickman said:

My disability is loss of balance, I have no sense of balance due to the removal of a brain tumour in 1974.  How I've learned to cope with things over a 40 year period suits me.

I need to hold on to things when I do walk - ie the wall, desks etc.  So, my questuion is - due to the coronavirus pandemic, is it safe for me to hold onto things if I wore gloves and if so, what kind of gloves - latex or ordinary everyday gloves - ie wool? 

I know it may be a silly question, but I feel that things have not been explained very well.  I am getting really confused about things.  Any suggestions?

I'm by no means an expert so please don't take my thoughts as completely correct, but I think latex / rubber gloves are best. Ideally you'll have many pairs, so you can dispose of them after each use. 

If possible, get gloves that will go over your wrist as well, for as much protection as possible, and when it comes to taking them off, do your best not to touch the outer part of the gloves with your skin. 

Hope this helps, hopefully you find the right solutions for your issue :) 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Stickman said:

Woolen gloves will offer no protection at all because of the holes in the material.  If you want to wear gloves, they'll need to be plastic or rubber (or nitrile if you have a latex allergy). 

However, there's really no need to wear gloves as long as you wash your hands regularly and make sure not to touch your face with potentially contaminated hands.  Gloves are worse for cross contamination than regular handwashing.
  • Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    edited July 2020
    Right, I have ordered some blue vinyl powder free gloves (box of 100).  Sadly though, they won't be with me until 8th Aug!

Brightness