Hello all — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello all

JimmyS
JimmyS Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello all, I’m a 71 year-old retired computer programmer and analyst. 
Unfortunately my career was cut short at age 44 due to low back pain and sciatica. Much has happened since then and I’m now left with severe chronic low back pain. Doctors describe this as “non-specific” meaning they don’t know what is causing it. This lack of diagnosis is in itself distressing because it means there is no hope of any meaningful treatment.
However I am looking forward to meeting you all

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi JimmyS, sorry to hear of your chronic pain. Have you tried osteopathy?
    I've had five spinal operations and can barely stand up or walk. I'm housebound. Has your mobility been affected very badly? I hope that somehow your pain will lessen. 
  • JimmyS
    Hi Oxonlady, thanks for your reply.
    No I’ve not tried osteopathy. I think I’m really scared that it might get worse. I’ve had one or two instances where this has happened and this pain is so bad I just can’t risk it.
    Yes my mobility is affected. I walk very slowly and with a lot discomfort. I am on very strong painkillers without which I would not be able to walk at all.
    Where is your pain ? I’m so sorry to hear of your mobility issues. Can you drive ? You would seem to be a prime candidate for a motability car.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JimmyS welcome to the community, I hope you find lots to interest you here. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• JimmyS
    Thank you leeCal
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Jimmy and welcome to the club!

I had to leave work on ill health way back in 2000.

It took 22 years to get my diagnosis and reason for why I have no mobility and need carers for so many things.

Have you tried to claim PIP for your mobility issues?
    Pollyx
  • JimmyS
    Hello Pollyanna that’s a long time for a diagnosis ! However I’m glad you got one eventually.
    Yes I’m on PIP but now only for personal care not mobility. I was on mobility for six years but it was taken from me at the last round of medical assessments along with my motability car. Their agenda is to reduce your level of PIP regardless of mobility issues, which they will play down where they can. A complete farce.
    Sorry, got carried away there  :D
    I hope you had better luck and receive all you so obviously deserve.
    TTFN

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hello JimmyS, 
    Thank you for your reply. 
    The problem is that I have a complex medical history. Although I get lumbar pain as soon as I stand up, I also have weak legs which make walking very difficult. I've got a very painful shoulder after two falls and experience widespread pain and fatigue due to several conditions. I've never been able to drive, I tried when I was a lot younger. I used to be able to go out with my Carer once a week, in my wheelchair but that stopped 16 months ago when Social Services reduced my care hours. I've been on enforced lockdown since then. My appeal is still ongoing but the Council is being intransigent and they couldn't care less about how all this stress is affecting me... 
    I'm sorry to hear about your constant pain. Have you had an MRI Scan on your spine? 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @JimmyS Great to have you here with us.

I see you have already found other members who can relate to your issues

Have a look round the site and feel free to join in any discussions, I look forward to seeing you around
  • JimmyS
    Hi janer1967, thank you for your welcome.
    I will do just that.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @JimmyS! Please do have a look around and give us a shout if we can do anything to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness