Looking for sensory bits for my autistic son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for sensory bits for my autistic son

beeney08
beeney08 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
I'm looking for a little guidance, and suggestions, for my 4 year old autistic son.
We would like to get him sensory bits for his room,  but we are unsure where to start 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beeney08

Good Morning & Welcome ??

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope??

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/families-with-disabled-children/

Please please let me know if you need any further help/support??!

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beeney08 - & welcome to the community. I wonder if you have been in touch with the National Autistic Society? They may be able to advise. Please see: https://www.autism.org.uk/
    Also Scope has a programme called 'Navigate,' which offers parents support. As we have had many parents on the community that have children on the autistic spectrum, I feel this may also help. Parents have said how useful it has been. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate/
    I hope some of the above may help; let us know how you get on, & also use this forum to chat here any time. :)

• KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello @beeney08 I wondered how you were getting on with you search for sensory toys and activities for your son's room? As @steve51 and @chiarieds have mentioned speaking to other parents can help you with ideas. If he goes to nursery or school they may have some ideas of the sensory equipment he likes too. I know it might be difficult at the moment but it might be worth looking to see if you have a toy lending library locally, this can sometimes allow you to try more expensive items like fibre optic lights and bubble tubes. 

If he likes switches, latches and keeping his hands busy, things like busy boards are good, and they can be home made. Local Scrap stores are good places to visit too if you wanted to look at creating a den or tent space and they often have lots of different materials, and they are quite inspiring for creating sensory spaces on a budget. I work for Scope Activities for All in Leeds and when we have sometimes attended outdoor children's events, the biggest hit has been a paddling pool full of balls, some drums and a bubble machine, and only some children have been drawn towards the lights and bubble tube. I hope you manage to get some ideas.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @beeney08 I’m Emma, one of the Community Champions. 
    It’s great to have you with us.  I was wondering if an Occupational Therapist might be able to give you some more recommendations? 

Brightness