Which one to go for? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which one to go for?

PhilG111
PhilG111 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited August 2020 in Transport and travel
Hi all. Any have a recommendation on changing our Motability WAV? Currently we have a short wheelbase Berlingo and we are due to exchange and was wondering what others upgraded too?
The nice thing about our Berlingo is that we can bring our son to almost level with the backseat, but problem is that in order to do so we have to lift the rear seat and then put it it on top of one of the front wheels (which doesn't do either any good). The securing clamp for the seat gets in the way preventing us from rolling underneath the seat.
We don't use the standard run of the mill wheelchair (that would be too easy!) We use the R82 Kudu so it has a wide front arms which make it wider than the rear... (for Stability apparently).
Anyone else had similar issues?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PhilG111

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I would be very very in helping you.

Are you looking for a similar size car/van??

Please please let me know & we can have a look to see what is available for you!!!!!!!

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, I dont really know a lot about cars but have you thought of contacting a dealer and they can try and find the most suitable vehicle for you anf you can take your son with you so you can try some out.

You can also have some sort of assessment where they come out and recommend the type of vehicle and adaptions that would be best suited

Hope this helps
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PhilG111, how are you getting on?  :)
    Scope

• PhilG111
    PhilG111 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Hi all, sorry for the delay, I work on the ambulance and it's been hectic.
    Just trying to see if anyone has had any preference if they went from one Wav to another. But yeah I think I will have to try and phone around. assesments at the moment seem to be on hold except for phone assesments. My wife insists that we get a small wav, in leaning to a medium because our sons chair will get bigger and heavier. She is nervous about driving a bigger vehicle.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PhilG111, no problem at all! I imagine it has been really busy! I'm glad they are still able to do phone appointments. It might be worth discussing the changing nature of your son's chair and whether a specific WAV could give him growing room.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)  
    Scope

Brightness